The problem with getting old.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I just turned 80. Most of my friends are around the same age I am....and I lost three of them this month, two of them younger than I am. Makes you think.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Condolences on the loss of your friend. Lots of us are right there with you - I'll be 78 in a couple of months.

monophoto

A long-time friend and work colleague passed away in March. His interrment was delayed until the cemetery opened and took place last week. Marv was a non-practicing Jew, but wanted a traditional Jewish burial. During the service the Rabbi said that unlike Christians or Moslems, the afterlife for Jews consists of the recollections that family and friends have for the departed.

Profound thought - we should live our lives in a way that the memories our survivors have of us becomes a blessing to them.

Woodchipper

It's a fact that we will get older until getting older ceases. The secret to long life is to have lots of birthdays!
I lost my BIL to a fall two weeks ago. Severe neck injury. He would have been 69 the 23rd.

My dad lived to 93 and his mom to 99 and his dad to 89. My mom died young in an accident, but her dad lived to 89. So I have some good genes!
That's great... my dad died young at 74, but he worked a lot harder than I ever did... he was loading a cord of wood that he had cut just because he was bored with sitting in the shade.... his renter found him in the yard still clutching his chest and laying against the cordwood.
Mom lived to 87 and was in a nursing home the last few years.
My dad's had 5 sisters... one died young in an auto accident, the others were into their late 80s and early 90s... one was 101.
He had 4 brothers... the eldest died of pneumonia in his 20s... the others lived to be late 80s and early 90s... one died at about 60 and dad at 74.
Grand parents also lived to ripe old ages.... I have a shot at my goal of 109. :D

Alan Morrison

Tomorrow I am going to my aunt's 106th birthday, who lived on her own up to a few weeks ago when she moved into a care home. She still has all her marbles and most of her own teeth. Her sister ( my mother ) lived to 104. My dad's 3 sisters all had 100th birthdays before passing.
I am making friends with people in their 30's and 40's now just in case I go that long myself.

WriteON

76 here and do not know how to act my age. I've never been this old before.
I'm always trying to enjoy what I have. Trying to enjoy every breath of air.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My wife and I assist , about 15 -20 days a month with her father - 3 months shy of 98 yrs old.

But I and my brother are on the other scale. My father passed at 47, his father at 52, his father at 51, further it gets even worse. My brother and I are the oldest at 64 and 65 in 5 generations of males. Not what my wife wants to hear.

Be well.

calabrese55

This just hit me as i read this post . I often use the common pencil that has been around long enough to barely stick out of the sharpener far enough to be held. Somehow that thought evolved into an analogy of a pencil to life lived..........maybe I have been sharpened too many times ?
When a pencil is new it is long and strong and ready for making it's mark on the world.
As time goes by and that process of making a mark evolves, the pencil shows value and purpose, relevant to the time and task at hand.
In this process the pencil gives of itself unaware that the very purpose it exists creates the the condition of it's demise.

Think about it when the point is sharp the mark is crisp and true and by contribution and time it's marks broaden to possibly a greater contribution by adding some character.
As time goes on failures will happen but the ability to rebuild that which creates the mark can be renewed to be as sharp as ever. Unfortunately this comes at a cost that ironically accelerates it's remaining time and a perception of inability to make a vibrant contribution.
As it, the pencil, becomes apparently less vibrant it is easily overlooked often tossed aside irrespective of it's contributions past. A bit faded and weathered with edges once crisp now worn down over time it silently yields to newer versions.
In short, pun intended, the journey through life is not unlike that of the common pencil. We share our abilities make our mark, and hope the record we leave will have lasting value.
calabrese55

Top Bottom