The Pen that wasn't meant to be....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mnerland

Frustration level running high today. I over-pressed the clip end of the Compson Click (PSI) I was working on and chipped out the end. So, I decided to attempt a repair and document it in pictures. The repair went well and I thought it actually looked better than just the plain celtic knot. When I pressed the pen together, the click button was sticking way above the end of the pen. To my surprise, the component kit had the wrong length of tube included in it. You can see in the last picture, the correct tube length that should have been in the kit. Lesson learned....inspect your component kits carefully before you begin. I do like the Compson for a click pen, but since the clip has a sharp hollow end, I would recommend rounding over the back end of the pen to avoid the break out.

Attachments

• 20200519_185715_resized.jpg
    20200519_185715_resized.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 264
  • 20200519_191330_resized.jpg
    20200519_191330_resized.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 252
  • 20200519_194603_resized.jpg
    20200519_194603_resized.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 248
  • 20200520_200337_resized.jpg
    20200520_200337_resized.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 241
  • 20200522_191545_resized.jpg
    20200522_191545_resized.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 225
  • 20200523_183211_resized.jpg
    20200523_183211_resized.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 230
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Love the material used for the knot, what was it?? Do you have a source. I think the knot would look a bit better if stretched out some. Learned alot from that one pen I bet. That is what this hobby can do for you. humble you and make you proud all at the same time.

magpens

What a pity !!!

An otherwise very beautiful pen !

I just checked the instructions on the PSI website. . Usually they specify, quite accurately, the length of the brass tube for each of their kits.
But in the case of the Compson, the brass tube length is not given, even approximately. . Strange.

I agree that it is always a good practice to measure the brass tube supplied in kits, but in this case there is no reference to compare to, even if you do measure before making. . This is a matter which should be brought to the attention of PSI.

Also, I think that PSI should give you a replacement kit.

EDIT: . I note that in the IAP tables compiled by Wayne, there is a tube length specified for the Compson. ... it is 2.94" ... is that the correct value ?
Some member must have made the measurement and sent the value to Wayne.

Last edited:

mnerland

Love the material used for the knot, what was it?? Do you have a source. I think the knot would look a bit better if stretched out some. Learned alot from that one pen I bet. That is what this hobby can do for you. humble you and make you proud all at the same time.
John, I used a strip of blue denim (soaked in wood hardener) and then sandwiched between double layers of a very dark wood veneer.

mnerland

What a pity !!!

An otherwise very beautiful pen !

I just checked the instructions on the PSI website. . Usually they specify, quite accurately, the length of the brass tube for each of their kits.
But in the case of the Compson, the brass tube length is not given, even approximately. . Strange.

I agree that it is always a good practice to measure the brass tube supplied in kits, but in this case there is no reference to compare to, even if you do measure before making. . This is a matter which should be brought to the attention of PSI.

Also, I think that PSI should give you a replacement kit.

EDIT: . I note that in the IAP tables compiled by Wayne, there is a tube length specified for the Compson. ... it is 2.94" ... is that the correct value ?
Some member must have made the measurement and sent the value to Wayne.
You are right about the instructions for the Compson. No mention of the correct length (not an excuse, since I was not in the habit of measuring in the first place). The tube length I have from a good kit measures 2.917" with my caliper. I did send PSI a message through their web site.

jttheclockman

John, I used a strip of blue denim (soaked in wood hardener) and then sandwiched between double layers of a very dark wood veneer.
Thanks for the reply. At least I know what it is and being different makes it stand out. I will not be copying that though. Again good job. Being able to make saves on the fly broadens the mind as to other things that can make up a pen blank.

mick

Michael, that save made for an even better looking pen! If I understand you right the material used for the knot itself is denim "micarta"?
I've use denim micarta for pens but never before for veneers making a knot.
Great easy of thinking outside the box!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom