The NEXT Bash.....#15

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Hello fellow Minnesota turners.

The next BASH is 11 months from now. It really should be the biggest and best Bash ever. However, it needs your help. I am already looking at prizes for the Kid's Contests. As of right now, I have plenty of WOOD blanks. For those of you who don't know me......I watch for bargains here. I shop and cut blanks from woods I find. I order woods from over seas. WOOD is not the problem.

What is the problem is lack of other blanks and items for the prize boxes. Pen kits, bushings, tools, glues, items we all use when making our pens.

Some the items can be from Harbor Freight. I watch for when things are on sale. They might only let me buy one a day........but I am willing to walk in 5 days in a row to get what is needed.

Some things we can make. Some things can be something as simple as a book we no longer need or have out grown.

What I am asking of the Minnesota Chapter is for the members to take a look at what you can do to help. Got some kits you no longer make? Some poured blanks you no long want? A tool that needs a cleaning and a new handle? What else can you think of? Let me know. Give me an idea or help how you can.

I am asking now so we have time to make it happen. Not going to be rushing around during the holidays. Not here to bother anyone. Just wanting everyone to do what they can.

Send me a PM and let's talk. I am willing to listen.
Thank you for everything.
Wayne

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Hello follow turners.

Just a little "BUMP" to remind everyone that the Feb. BASH #15 is just a little over 6 months away.

So far I have heard from just one member of the IAP and he wasn't from Minnesota. Be on the lookout for anything that the kids can use. Donate what you can.......everything helps.

Thank you all!
Wayne

jttheclockman

I know this is going to sound harsh to some but it is something I have thought about for a few years here and these are just my thoughts. I have not brought it up before but this seems the perfect thread to do so. Again these are my thoughts and my reasons. You can agree or disagree but do not come at me with harsh words because I will fire back. :wink:

I believe the Bash celebration should be one that is designed for the adults only. It is a celebration of members here and not kids. They have nothing to do with this site. The summer Extravaganza is totally different and is designed for summer fun. Kids are off from school and have time to play with their parents in the shop if they so choose. Gear all contests around the kids in the summer as far as I am concerned. The prizes that are chosen for kids should be kid related and not blanks or kits or gift certificates. We all know who is behind these pens being made and the prizes basically go to the parents. Have gifts that are kid related like video games or certificates to McDonalds or other things. I have no kids so there are those more qualified to make suggestions.

I know what you are thinking, because I have no kids is why I am bringing this up and being of this mind. Not the case. I am sure there are others that may think like me but are afraid to say so. My concern is with kid contests it takes away from other more adult contests. Last year there was no library contest or front page pen contest and there is talk in alternating pen stand and pen box contest. This should not happen for the Bash. I am sure other contests can be filled in as well.

I like looking at the kids pens but if we just limit them to the summer affair what is the harm.???

OK I said it and now the feedback will follow. I am sorry if I put this in a thread that was not intended but I felt it relevant.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
OK I said it and now the feedback will follow.

I respectfully disagree with you JT. I fully support any avenue we can incorporate younger folks to get interested in pen turning/ wood turning, and other examples of wood working.

There are MANY, MANY things involved in these activities that can benefit them in later life.

I won't go into specifics of each your points, but I believe your comments are not accurate. But, you are welcome to your opinion.

jttheclockman

OK I said it and now the feedback will follow.

I respectfully disagree with you JT. I fully support any avenue we can incorporate younger folks to get interested in pen turning/ wood turning, and other examples of wood working.

There are MANY, MANY things involved in these activities that can benefit them in later life.

I won't go into specifics of each your points, but I believe your comments are not accurate. But, you are welcome to your opinion.

Mark I respect your opinion too but I am not saying totally do away with kids entering contests I am just saying being we have 2 each year now why not make the summer one for kids and the fall one for adults. Lets be real here, how many kids go on to become pen turners and if they do how many are going to remember any of this. look how many adults join in the summer as opposed to the fall. If this were true how come we do not see more pens turned by kids throughout the year. It is only contest time and the parents prod them into it. If parents need to bond with their kids more than do it more throughout the year.

Again these are my thoughts only and hopefully others will chime in on this as you did which I am glad to see and thank you for the feedback.

Wagner11

As with everyone this is only my personal opinion. Maybe I'm seeing too much good in people but I find it hard to believe that any kid who enjoys turning wouldn't see full use of whatever prize they receive. As a recent first time parent it bugs me to think that there are parents who would use a contest and their children as an excuse to get some prize.

As to your other point that the parent has more to do with the pen than the child, well that I could believe but I think it comes from a good place.

I would love to see more contest but I noticed this year only a few people even volunteer to run a contest. Surely a kids contest can't take that much away from the others. Honestly lately it seems kinda dead around but as I've only been around for a little while I can't be sure.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hello follow turners.

Just a little "BUMP" to remind everyone that the Feb. BASH #15 is just a little over 6 months away.

So far I have heard from just one member of the IAP and he wasn't from Minnesota. Be on the lookout for anything that the kids can use. Donate what you can.......everything helps.

Thank you all!
Wayne

Thanks for the reminder Wayne! I'll see what I can put together this year.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Without Kids, this hobby is dead. You just have old guys talking about pens they used to make. But they never make pens. The kids are the future, and I'll support them any way I can. Who cares if it's the bash or summer time. And if you don't agree with me, you can volunteer to run a contest. Make up your own rules for it, and keep kids out. Just my .02.

stonepecker

Hello JT.
I do respect your opinion and right to choose how you feel.

I would like to point of a few things that I am sure you are not aware of.
1)....the kids contests are not limited to the children of members. If you want to, go find a child that has an interest in turning and teach them. Then help them to enter the contest.

2)....I have been running the children's BASH contests because I have the time in the winter to do this. During the summer, I work away from my home, (out of state) and run an engraving business. My free time is in the winter,

3)....I believe all prizes are for the children. I would never accuse any parent/grandparent of not following the rules or intent of these contests.

4)....the prizes we send out are to educate and challenge the winners. This is the way to promote and keep the hobby alive. We need to help make the hobby grow.

The kids are my personal thing. I want to help them to enjoy the hobby and learn. I do know that the kids I teach, learn more then just turning. They have learned how to care for tools.....to organize things in their lives. They begin to see safety issues around them. They start to care for others and not make this a "Me" thing anymore. Most important, they build memories that hopefully they can look back on 20-30 years from now......and smile.

jttheclockman

Wayne I appreciate your work you do and of course the time you put in when the contest time comes around. I probably will not get anyone to see what I am saying and this is why I never mentioned it before. But I thought I would throw it out there being this was a big Bash number coming up and I am a big boy to take the heat. Heck I have enough negative thoughts about me here what is a few more.

To say the kids are our future is like saying the sky is blue. We better hope they are the future in all aspects of life not just pen turning.

Nowhere did I say eliminate the kids from the contests. Look back at my post. All I suggested is to have an adult version and a kids version. The summer months kids are more available to be in the shop with the parent. In the winter school and school activities are the priority. I learned woodworking from my Dad when I was a kid. So I see the benefits of other aspects of just being with the kids. I see all that and get it.

Now maybe someone can point me to some threads here that showed kids turned pens other than the contests. I would like to see more during the year. The teaching does not start and stop with these contests. Heck lets start a whole forum dedicated to kids pen turning. This way they get celebrated more and do not get lost in the SOYP forum.

The prize thing I will leave alone but made some suggestions.

I knew this probably would not come over well but I tried wording the best I could and I mean nothing personal about any of this. It was just a thought and I thought we are mature enough to at least discus it. And Ernie please keep up the good work you are doing.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Nascar is depending on its future - with 5 yr olds on the quarter midget track.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/21/...o-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

If you can't get the link, you get the message... Invest in our youth!

Great article!

I've never had kids, but I help alot of kids in my area. I have an open invitation to kids that have never seen a race. I will pay their way into a race if they've never seen one before. And kids love it!

I met 12 family's at a race track last weekend. None of them had ever seen a race in person. So I paid for everyone to get in. Mom's Dad's, Kids, everyone! You should of seen their face the first time a Sprint Car came wideopen through the turn. That look was priceless and makes it worth every penny! I may have derailed this thread

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
When I was in the sixth grade a class mate had a quarter miget. It was a replica of Parnelli Jones' Indy car. We cut school and walked to the speedway to watch practice and carb day. He let me drive his car down the alley. We were hooked.
Sorry Wayne. This thread has been highjacked I believe.
You might want to try posting your notice again.

stonepecker

I am grinning ear-to-ear and happier then I have been in a while,
It is wonderful that others feel the way I do about the kids and doing what we can to spark the interest in them. And I really don't care about what that interest is, It can be turning, fishing, bird watching, solar power cars, rock collecting, sharks, plants, lawn care, tree trimming, gas motors, etc. Just something that interests them and gets them away from the couch/tv/video games.
We as a nation need to go forward. We can look back at what we have done but also need to look to the future. Taking care of our planet. Finding cures for the ills that we all have. Physical, mental, emotional. We need to make this a better world....and that is something that the kids of today need to do.
JT is right when he says that the learning process don't start and stop with these contests. However, the interest in something has to be the spark for the future.
Chuck, highjack this or any other of my posts. As long as it gets us all talking and thinking about the future.......I have no problem with that.
I have asked the kids to post things they make with the winning/prizes. If they do or don't......all I have trying to do is give them a challenge to move forward. As long as it is in a positive direction.......I am happy.

So now I will go back and ask again for help in "My project". Help to get the kids moving forward by a single, simple donation that you feel will help the kids to be a better person in the future. THAT, is my challenge to the membership.

God bless you all.

jttheclockman

Well if you want to say I moved the direction or the tone of the topic go ahead but thought it was relavent. Did not realize one set of contests is changing the world. :) I knew I was not going to get much support but thought I would throw it out there. I will not come off my beliefs but will concede to all the teachers out there and their quest to make this world a better place. Hope you all are also telling and showing these same kids that war is bad, drugs are bad, racism is bad, lieing is bad, stealing is bad, corruption is bad, as well as many other things. Just doing things fun with kids is not the whole story and there is the dark side, But making pens will cure that so have at it.

Hope to see alot of kids participate in the bash as well as the Summer fun. Hope they also stick around during the year and lets see what they learned from their teachers. Hope it gets to the point where the student becomes the teacher. Knowledge is king. I will now bow out of this and sorry Wayne for taking things down this road. Please continue to do the things that make this a great place. Your work is needed and appreciated. I hope many support your efforts and maybe in a small way the sidetrack brought more attention to your cause. Good luck and see you all at the Bash. Should be a good time.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
A local track posted this today. Thought it was fitting for this thread

Attachments

• 37750658_1950323108339146_7216111357307912192_n.jpg
    37750658_1950323108339146_7216111357307912192_n.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 237

jonjon

Just got back in the country but since I am a youth/kid (16 yrs old.) I thought I would add a comment to this thread. While I am sure that adults do add the most to this forum and to the art of penturning, I very much appreciate every opportunity that features young people. I enjoy the hobby and run a semi-successful penturning hobby/business. In many ways it sounds as though my youthful zeal is selling more pens than many of the adults that post here on the forum in general.

I have learned such a tremendous amount from this forum and have appreciated all of those those who have invested their time in the youth.

Thanks to everyone, even JTtheclockman.:):):)

PS as far as prizes...I hardly ever play video games or eat at Mcdonalds. The blanks etc. were very much appreciated last time.

PPS: For what it is worth, in reference to the previously mentioned list I do not like war, drugs, and racism and I do believe lying and stealing are bad. And I am thankful for adults who have passed those values on to me.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Just got back in the country but since I am a youth/kid (16 yrs old.) I thought I would add a comment to this thread. While I am sure that adults do add the most to this forum and to the art of penturning, I very much appreciate every opportunity that features young people. I enjoy the hobby and run a semi-successful penturning hobby/business. In many ways it sounds as though my youthful zeal is selling more pens than many of the adults that post here on the forum in general.

I have learned such a tremendous amount from this forum and have appreciated all of those those who have invested their time in the youth.

Thanks to everyone, even JTtheclockman.:):):)

PS as far as prizes...I hardly ever play video games or eat at Mcdonalds. The blanks etc. were very much appreciated last time.

PPS: For what it is worth, in reference to the previously mentioned list I do not like war, drugs, and racism and I do believe lying and stealing are bad. And I am thankful for adults who have passed those values on to me.

Good for you JonJon. Remember one thing we are always here so show us some of the things you have learned and share them with us all. Someone is teaching you well. I will say again read my entire post and do not pick out the things you want to read. Hope to hear from other kids but been here for a long time and the sounds are crickets. Good luck in your ventures.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I would like to use this last entry by me in this topic area to apologize to Wayne (aka Stonepecker) for taking this topic down a road that should probably be left untravelled. As the young ones say "My Bad" . My comments were misread and taken out of context and swirled around that it got others upset and it was not my intention. I do want it known I like what Wayne and so many others are doing for the youth not only here but outside the walls of this forum. It is the youth of today that will shape our tomorrows. If making a few pens with their parents or other mentors has a positive effect on their minds then I say more is better.

I hope there are more JonJons out there that have taken to the likes of making pens and I do hope they stay and show us some of their work. Do not be afraid to make suggestions or ask for them. That is how we all learn. I hope to see a slew of entries in the contests to come. I also hope that if there are other youngsters that come on board let us know by giving us your age and a little background. It gives the old folks such as myself confidence and satisfaction that this forum is reaching the youth.

So again sorry for any confusion or hard feelings brought on by my post and look forward to seeing our youth step up to the plate. And as they say "Stay in School" :)

Ever thought about taking this to the Boy Scouts organization in your area. I know as a former Scout Master I taught several young men some wood working that got them a Merit Badge. Why not try to find your local Troop and see about donating your time and maybe some great expertise. I know the level of expertise in this forum as I see it daily in the work that so many of you are displaying. Youth are our future, especially for us old F#$ts, but I think they need a slight push. JonJon, your an exception. You seem pretty self motivated from what I read, but you're probably one in a few million (although I have seen a couple others in IAP). Keep doing what you're doing and I'm sure we'll hear great things about you in the future. You mentioned you hate racism, drugs and war. What's your solution to just one of these issues? I'd really like to know your honest opinion (PM me). Not a debate, as I have a 17 year old granddaughter that I often have discussion with about on these exact same topics. Sorry for the late post, I just saw this.

stonepecker

60 + days before the next bash. Just seeing if anyone has any other help to donate to the kids contests. PM me here and we can talk.
Thank you all for your support.

Top Bottom