The life of Ra (kitless)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BradG

BradG

Closed end body and lid kitless pen

The lid, showing the eye of Ra, or also known as the eye of horus.
attachment.php

The Eye of Ra was involved in many areas of ancient Egyptian religion, including in the cults of the many goddesses who are equated with it. Its life-giving power was celebrated in temple rituals, and its dangerous aspect was invoked in the protection of the pharaoh, of sacred places, and of ordinary people and their homes.

The Ankh, dominating the body of the pen
attachment.php

The ankh is an ancient Egyptian symbol of life. Commonly seen being held by the gods, and is often regarded as an object which gives life after death.
ankh7.jpg

As always, thanks for looking.​

Brad

Also, if anyone would like to see a large image of this pen so they can see detail of the etch, visit here, and click on the image to make it full size:
http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/13530/2_pic1.jpg

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,624
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,490
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,376
  • pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,388
  • ankh.jpg
    ankh.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,615
  • eye.png
    eye.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,582
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,415
Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Your just way beyond being a pen maker your a true artist with a flair for the dramatic, I so much look forward to each of your creations.

Jim Burr

Banned
Which museum is this going to? Put it with the Tut collection! This really is a few levels over the bar Brad!

Bob Wemm

Brad that design is incredibly awesome, and the execution is amazing. Thank you so much for showing. Like the others have said, You raise the bar so high.
Congratulations.

Bob.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow Brad, that is extremely impressive for sure!!:eek:
Of all the wild things you've made, this is my newest favourite!!!.:good:

Personally, I think this one should have been your PMG submission, but with the variety of beauties you have shown so far, no doubt you'll conjure up an equally special piece when you're ready. :wink:

BradG

Steven plenty of time for that, im still experimenting fornow :)

Thanks for all the kind words guys, its much appreciated to hear they are a pleasure to look at, as it reminds me the hours they take make it all worth it lol :biggrin:

im intending on taking 20 or so of various different designs like these to a craft show next year.. Im not expecting to sell many or any at all on the day due to the price point, but it will be nice to show them off there regardless, and maybe give out a few cards

Last edited:

SteveG

I fall right in line with the others here celebrating the artistry AND craftsmanship of your work shown. VERY nice, and anxiously awaiting your next!
Steve

Kretzky

Outstanding Brad, your work is incredible :eek: & you have a rare talent.
I look forward very much to seeing your mext offering.

BradG

Thanks for commenting guys :) though check out the chrome version. guess this comes down to who prefers what as thats personal... i lean more towards the chrome, but i also appreciate the gold version of this with it being ancient egypt.. wasnt much chrome back then :biggrin:

wiset1

That's got to be my favorite one so far. Pretty amazing stuff you're doing these days

Mapster

Brad, this one is spectacular! One of the coolest pens I have seen, definitely something I would prefer to buy over the Mont Blancs of the world... Unbelievable detail in the etch, you really have that process perfected!

Aluminum plated in gold? It is hard to tell what exactly the pen is made out of, but it is beautiful

BradG

Marshall its brass which has been plated 24ct gold.

Its difficult to do as the gold is pretty much the same colour as polished brass so its difficult to see if you have plated it evenly using a brush technique, but the price of a tank plating setup is very high. The reason its plated if the colours are the same, is that brass will tarnish to a dull old copper penny colour if left losing its shine, whereas gold plating wont.

Chrome plating is obvious, though the good news is when turning with brass is that both of these platings can be applied directly to the piece. if it were aluminium i would have to do the following:

GP1 Alkaline clean the piece
Zincate the piece
Copper plate the piece
Nickel plate the piece
Then either gold or chrome plate the piece..

Quite a few more steps as you can see.

DRAT

Brad,

I absolutely love your work. I am originally a wood carver turned pen turner/wood carver. I love the "art" part of working with wood. I also draw and paint as well as design. so what you've done really interests me a ton.

Can you please communicate with me about how you did this, either online or off.

Thanks so much.

DrAT

BradG

Brad,

I absolutely love your work. I am originally a wood carver turned pen turner/wood carver. I love the "art" part of working with wood. I also draw and paint as well as design. so what you've done really interests me a ton.

Can you please communicate with me about how you did this, either online or off.

Thanks so much.

DrAT

If you visit my website you can watch a tutorial on this process
http://www.penchemistry.co.uk/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74&Itemid=472

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Brad, I decided that I needed something to do in my cave while the outlaws visited this week........:rolleyes:
I popped into Maplin and got some jungle juice and then into HobbyCraft for a couple of stickers to play around with.
I know I could've got 5 litres of the stuff for the same price as 1/2 a litre, but hey, all the industrial places are closed and it's Christmas!!:biggrin:

Wish me luck!!:biggrin:

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 108

BradG

:biggrin:

Couple of pointers for you:

clean the piece with alocohol if you have some DNA or isopropanol
put your vinyl stickers on, then pour boiling water over them ( dont dunk them in boiling water, just pour about a cup full over the piece)
Warm your ferric to around 35'c, and in an ideal world go up in your attic and raid those fish tanks for an air pump.. may even find a tank heater too. you really want to get some air in there otherwise youl have to stir the piece gently all the time lol.

gwilki

I need to get onto these threads sooner so that there are still some original compliments available to me.

This is simply outrageous, Brad! Saying "kitless" in your description of it is taking under statement to an art.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
:biggrin:

Couple of pointers for you:

clean the piece with alocohol if you have some DNA or isopropanol
put your vinyl stickers on, then pour boiling water over them ( dont dunk them in boiling water, just pour about a cup full over the piece)
Warm your ferric to around 35'c, and in an ideal world go up in your attic and raid those fish tanks for an air pump.. may even find a tank heater too. you really want to get some air in there otherwise youl have to stir the piece gently all the time lol.

Thanks for the tips Brad!! They are appreciated.:)

Heater......check:wink:
Bubble agitator.......check:wink:
Isopropyl Alcohol.......check:wink:
Video Tutorial with dodgey character narating.........check:laugh:

I decided I'll try it out using a 'water bath' method first. The heater will heat up the water in the tank and thus the bottle (coffee jar)of Ferric Chloride.

Attachments

• Picture 388-001.jpg
    Picture 388-001.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 113

Jim Smith

Brad,

You have certainly raised the level of pen making to a new level. While I've only been a member here on IAP for three years or so, I've noticed a quantum leap in the pen making abilities of many of the members here. Where a nicely done kit pen used to be amazing, the number of people now making beautiful kitless pens and custom pens like what you're doing is growing so fast, it's sometimes difficult to keep up with. Beautiful work!!! Thank you (and all the other gifted artists here) for sharing your talent, knowledge, and techniques.

Jim Smith

Top Bottom