The Good, the Bad and the Ugly of "home" wood stabilisation...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

Warning, it will be done in various steps/posts so it will be LONG...!:biggrin:

This will be a thread where I will point out and exemplify some of the problems and situations that some may be confronted with when starting stabilising. What you use and how you use it, is detrimental to the success of the end result and also the minimisation of problems that are typical/associated with, in this "new" process now reachable to anyone...!

The varieties of sizes and shapes of stabilisation chambers and pumps, is quite overwhelming however, I strongly recommend Curtis (Turn Tex) small and medium vacuum chambers, they are the best out there for small amounts users. Things get a little more complicated when you want to stabilised also pieces that are quite large compared to a average pen blank, and I'm talking about round bowl blanks of 12" diameter and less.

I discussed the building of such large chamber with Curtis, using his thickest acrylics but, it became obvious that, it wouldn't be save due to the combination of a few important factors so, I opted to try a combination of what I saw already available on eBay (cooking pot with a clear acrylic lid) and my believe that, a quality stainless steel pot with the handles welded and not pinned (leaking) and its factory glass lid, would be strong enough to do the job.

010.JPG 001 (2).JPG 020.JPG 021.JPG 024.JPG 026.JPG

Every person that I shared my idea, did not believe the factory lid glass with withstand the pressures, and that would be almost impossible to seal the lid however, I prove everyone wrong when I purchased a quality 16 lt capacity stainless pot ($130.00), made up an experimental gasket that worked but didn't last, got all the accessories from Curtis, the very same ones he uses on his chambers, got myself a so so 2 stage pump ($200), a few extra accessories from here and there and I was ready to test it.

027 (2).JPG

I knew that was a good possibility that the glass lid would explode or shatter, whatever would happen, if it went wrong, the glass would be going innards as it as under "suction" so, and to prevent any damage inside the pot, I put an old towel inside.

I had also installed/glued a special pressure sensor connected to my laptop, safely positioned close but out of any boom effect. These sensor are very sensitive and read any expansion or contraction of the material they are glued to but, the readings were (0) as the test went fine and nothing happened I mean, nothing bad happen.

Here is actually the test I done, one head cam and another on a tripod registering that moment, I actually had some money on it/bets, I won, obviously...! I set it up long enough to reach full vacuum and then, let it go for a few more minutes and see it the lid would fail but it never did.

This video and the next were done at the same time, but from 2 different cameras, this one was on a head cam, while I was preparing everything but some how stop recording without warning, the other was on the tripod...!

About 3 minutes...!:frown:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUXwPMtE2_

Very repetitive clip, 10 minutes of nothing happening but, it could have...!:wink::biggrin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhjb63Kbxdk

Have you noticed the silicone gasket I make to separate on the right end side, as it reached full vacuum...??? yeah, that was the end of that idea.

012.JPG 016.JPG

I tried a few other materials but none did last until I though of an O'ring, that wasn't going to be easy but, I found a place in Adelaide that sell big O'rings so I took the pot and lid to try one that could look suitable to the lid edge and the pot top ring...!

A $20.00 O'ring that took me for an almost 4 hour drive to go and get it, still was no guarantee that would work and when I got home and installed it and tried, the O'ring was not thick enough, in compression would squash far to much and than would be sucked in slightly and lose the seal.

003.JPG

I proceeded to glue the O'ring to the lid but, still not right, I just could get it to seal. Decided to ring this time and order one more the same and another same diameter but slightly thicker, there was another $50.00 gone, as the first O'ring had to be destroyed to be removed from the lid.

This time, as spend some time looking at the way the lid and pot ring would touch/form I though that gluing the 2 different size O'rings in a certain way, I could follow the contour of the gap in between lid and pot so I glue them first and then glued it to the lid using the black rubberised CA, it did work but within a couple of weeks, wouldn't seal as the O'rings become too hard, part from the glue and the other part from the juice that I found out, hardens certain rubbers...!

015a (2).jpg

By then, all the fittings I had on the lid (gauge, air coupling) started leaking also, I had used industrial grade clear silicone but it didn't last...!
So, new plastic washers made, clean all that mess left and start again, this time I had some clear liquid rubber CA that I purchased from Monty just before he closed shop. Got that in and so far, no leaks, not pretty but effective...!

To be continued...!

Cheers
George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Wemm

George,
They say "Nothing is impossible", but they don't know George.

You're about as pig-headed as me. Never give up until the very last option has been proved unworkable.

Well done.

Bob.

John Doyle

Have a go at stabelisation

Just when i thought that it was safe to enter the water you come up with this doozey. Mate i had just decided to venture into the stabelisation of pen blanks and thought that i would take a look at the forum for advice. I am not put off but am now thinking a little harder.
Cheers.
John Doyle
Bowen Qld Australia
Hi peoples,

Warning, it will be done in various steps/posts so it will be LONG...!:biggrin:

This will be a thread where I will point out and exemplify some of the problems and situations that some may be confronted with when starting stabilising. What you use and how you use it, is detrimental to the success of the end result and also the minimisation of problems that are typical/associated with, in this "new" process now reachable to anyone...!

The varieties of sizes and shapes of stabilisation chambers and pumps, is quite overwhelming however, I strongly recommend Curtis (Turn Tex) small and medium vacuum chambers, they are the best out there for small amounts users. Things get a little more complicated when you want to stabilised also pieces that are quite large compared to a average pen blank, and I'm talking about round bowl blanks of 12" diameter and less.

I discussed the building of such large chamber with Curtis, using his thickest acrylics but, it became obvious that, it wouldn't be save due to the combination of a few important factors so, I opted to try a combination of what I saw already available on eBay (cooking pot with a clear acrylic lid) and my believe that, a quality stainless steel pot with the handles welded and not pinned (leaking) and its factory glass lid, would be strong enough to do the job.

View attachment 94761 View attachment 94766 View attachment 94767 View attachment 94768 View attachment 94769 View attachment 94770

Every person that I shared my idea, did not believe the factory lid glass with withstand the pressures, and that would be almost impossible to seal the lid however, I prove everyone wrong when I purchased a quality 16 lt capacity stainless pot ($130.00), made up an experimental gasket that worked but didn't last, got all the accessories from Curtis, the very same ones he uses on his chambers, got myself a so so 2 stage pump ($200), a few extra accessories from here and there and I was ready to test it.

View attachment 94762

I knew that was a good possibility that the glass lid would explode or shatter, whatever would happen, if it went wrong, the glass would be going innards as it as under "suction" so, and to prevent any damage inside the pot, I put an old towel inside.

I had also installed/glued a special pressure sensor connected to my laptop, safely positioned close but out of any boom effect. These sensor are very sensitive and read any expansion or contraction of the material they are glued to but, the readings were (0) as the test went fine and nothing happened I mean, nothing bad happen.

Here is actually the test I done, one head cam and another on a tripod registering that moment, I actually had some money on it/bets, I won, obviously...! I set it up long enough to reach full vacuum and then, let it go for a few more minutes and see it the lid would fail but it never did.

This video and the next were done at the same time, but from 2 different cameras, this one was on a head cam, while I was preparing everything but some how stop recording without warning, the other was on the tripod...!

About 3 minutes...!:frown:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUXwPMtE2_

Very repetitive clip, 10 minutes of nothing happening but, it could have...!:wink::biggrin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhjb63Kbxdk

Have you noticed the silicone gasket I make to separate on the right end side, as it reached full vacuum...??? yeah, that was the end of that idea.

View attachment 94763 View attachment 94764

I tried a few other materials but none did last until I though of an O'ring, that wasn't going to be easy but, I found a place in Adelaide that sell big O'rings so I took the pot and lid to try one that could look suitable to the lid edge and the pot top ring...!

A $20.00 O'ring that took me for an almost 4 hour drive to go and get it, still was no guarantee that would work and when I got home and installed it and tried, the O'ring was not thick enough, in compression would squash far to much and than would be sucked in slightly and lose the seal.

View attachment 94765

I proceeded to glue the O'ring to the lid but, still not right, I just could get it to seal. Decided to ring this time and order one more the same and another same diameter but slightly thicker, there was another $50.00 gone, as the first O'ring had to be destroyed to be removed from the lid.

This time, as spend some time looking at the way the lid and pot ring would touch/form I though that gluing the 2 different size O'rings in a certain way, I could follow the contour of the gap in between lid and pot so I glue them first and then glued it to the lid using the black rubberised CA, it did work but within a couple of weeks, wouldn't seal as the O'rings become too hard, part from the glue and the other part from the juice that I found out, hardens certain rubbers...!

View attachment 94772

By then, all the fittings I had on the lid (gauge, air coupling) started leaking also, I had used industrial grade clear silicone but it didn't last...!
So, new plastic washers made, clean all that mess left and start again, this time I had some clear liquid rubber CA that I purchased from Monty just before he closed shop. Got that in and so far, no leaks, not pretty but effective...!

To be continued...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

Just when i thought that it was safe to enter the water you come up with this doozey. Mate i had just decided to venture into the stabelisation of pen blanks and thought that i would take a look at the forum for advice. I am not put off but am now thinking a little harder.
Cheers.
John Doyle
Bowen Qld Australia[\QUOTE]

G'day John,

I a little too early on this thread for you to make any major decisions and to start making conclusions, this will all make sense when I cover the 3 areas of interest as the title suggests, the idea is to give people an easy and economic alternative for the stabilisation of pieces of wood bigger than the 2 major sizes Curtis from Turn Tex makes for everyone, his are the best out there for small to medium size wood pieces and quantities, my system does all the small stuff, up to a single pen blank to a 1' wide bowl blank, has has great capacity to stabilised up to 80 pen blanks in one go...!

Keep reading as I add stuff on, there are lots of very interesting stuff to be shown/come up...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

George,
They say "Nothing is impossible", but they don't know George.

You're about as pig-headed as me. Never give up until the very last option has been proved unworkable.

Well done.

Bob.

Hi Bob, I was reading your comment and I thought, Bob ain't got it right, it should read, "some say, that is impossible but they don't know me...!:wink::biggrin:

Pig-headed...??? me...??? na...! I'm super persistent and NO for an answer, ain't go well with me, unless I accept the possibilities.:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Well, lets continue with this issue, is still a long way to go...!

So, lets "cover" the common vacuum pump issues on the pumps that most people (including myself) have, and there is this type, $T2eC16RHJF0E9nmFSHp-BRMc4sqZHw~~60_12.JPG

The first thing to remember is, the size/capacity of your vacuum chamber does affect considerably the pump, in more ways than you may think, and based on my own experience, the bigger the chamber, the higher the risk of having things go wrong.

One of the main ones is the risk of having the vacuum pressure from inside a large chamber to "SUCK" the oil from the pump into the chamber and that means, contamination of all the Cactus juice you have in there and having blanks that will have oil inside the wood, if this happen while there is enough vacuum inside the chamber...!

This is a great reason why, you should try to get a pump with a non return valve, that way nothing can come out from the pump, only in...!

There are 2 main events that will cause this to happen (oil being sucked in into the chamber), the first one is the bad habit to turning the pump off by its electric switch, when the large vacuum chamber is at full vacuum, the amount/volume and pressure inside that chamber, is enough to such the oil from the pump into the chamber, even if you have a filter, the filter size/type, the length/size of the hose, there is a possibility of having the oil filling the filter and still come trough the hose into your chamber/juice/blanks...! Again, the size of the chamber dictates how far the oil can go...!

The second event that will create the same problem, is when you have the pump/large vacuum chamber at full vacuum, and the power goes off (blackout), exactly the same happens as to turn the switch off only this time, you will probably not be around or close enough to do anything and when you come back to check it out, the pump will be off and half of the oil will be sucked into the chamber/juice/blanks/wood...!

Some pumps have a non return valve incorporated within, those that don't have one, the only thing you can do is to buy and install and electric non-return valve at the pump end so, when the power goes off, the electric non-return valve activates and closes any chance of the oil being sucked out of the pump...!

This is what a filter looks like when oil is sucked through (it was clear/original oil) 001.JPG and after a few times of dismantling everything (filter(s), hose, taps connectors, etc, etc.) from the pump to the chamber, to wash/clean the pump oil, this is what happens to the filters and to the hoses, 003.JPG 004.JPG

Very small vacuum chambers, may not cause this problem as is not enough air inside the chamber to suck the oil into the system however, when you consider big vacuum chambers, be aware of its problems...!

This is all for now, next I will be covering, oil changes and oil contamination...!

Cheers
George

To be continued...!

Last edited:
Top Bottom