The Extra Notes Helped!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings to all from Nebraska.

The title of the post is related to my post and pen from last Saturday. The notes I made on my instruction sheets related to the 16 thousandths of an inch size difference between the trim rings on the lower blank helped me get them pressed in the correct locations this time. I think today's pen turned out pretty good.

It is another Legacy Woodturning, Upgraded Junior Gentleman kit in chrome with a custom turned finial. It was made using an old growth Redwood Lace Burl blank that I got from Rocky Bemis (rockb) finished with my standard CA regimen.

I love the story about the blank. Rocky used to live in Humboldt County in California in the middle of Redwood country. He harvested the old growth Redwood Lace Burl a stump near Falk, California which is a logging ghost town that was founded in 1884 by Noah Falk. It flourished until the great depression in 1937 when the logging business had to close down. A few folks continued to live in Falk for a few years, but by the 1950's the town was completely abandoned. It stood as a ghost town for 30 years until the land owners decided the abandoned structures were too big of a liability. Virtually all of the buildings were torn down in 1979. All that remains are the ghosts and a scattering of enormous Redwood stumps.

The thumbnail pictures follow -- thanks for looking! Dave

A couple of glamor shots showing different views of the grain (click to enlarge):
IMG_2426 Cropped.jpg
IMG_2427 Cropped.jpg

Thumbnail showing the custom finial (click to enlarge):
IMG_2437 Cropped.jpg

Thumbnails with the pen closed and rotated to show the grain matching and figure on the blank:
IMG_2429 Cropped.jpg
IMG_2430 Cropped.jpg

IMG_2431 Cropped.jpg
IMG_2432 Cropped.jpg

Thumbnails with the cap posted and rotated to show the figure on the blank:
IMG_2433 Cropped.jpgIMG_2434 Cropped.jpgIMG_2435 Cropped.jpgIMG_2436 Cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TDahl

Great looking pen Dave, and an excellent bit of history to go with it. Thank you for sharing.

Top Bottom