The effort so far this weekend

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from fnfalguy

fnfalguy

Worked my first Fordite (technically Jeepite) into a Sierra Pencil and then two pens using a skew for the first time. Both of thise are cocobolo, and kits from alibaba. A spiral click pen and a mini bullet twist pen. The wife really likes the form factor of the mini.

No finish on the fordite and friction polish on the other two.

20230723_083615.jpg
20230723_083556.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

They look good. Cocobolo is hard to go wrong with (as long as you aren't inhaling the dust). I always liked the look of Fordite, but am afraid of breaking it, and it's too expensive to waste on my budget.

@Woodchipper, it's also called Detroit Agate (more common in the jewelry trade), which is probably more fitting. I've seen a few here made from Jeep paint, Corvette paint, and probably several others.

That click pen in the middle... I like that it doesn't have the typical Sierra style black section in the grip area. Alibaba, you say? I wonder who actually makes the kit?
** Ah, I checked it and that's Rhizeng. I suspected that might be the case. Would be great with a Schmidt metal clicker.

fnfalguy

They look good. Cocobolo is hard to go wrong with (as long as you aren't inhaling the dust). I always liked the look of Fordite, but am afraid of breaking it, and it's too expensive to waste on my budget.

@Woodchipper, it's also called Detroit Agate (more common in the jewelry trade), which is probably more fitting. I've seen a few here made from Jeep paint, Corvette paint, and probably several others.

That click pen in the middle... I like that it doesn't have the typical Sierra style black section in the grip area. Alibaba, you say? I wonder who actually makes the kit?
It came from the Xiamen Rizheng store, who I assume (perhaps incorrectly) make many of the kits offered by some of the bigger folks. Not as many offerings as their website, but the shipping is much less for the stuff they have on alibaba. Interestingly, things like the Sierra are labled as such on their website, but are called a sea twist on alibaba.

fnfalguy

And finished the last one for the weekend. Can't say that I'm a fan of the blank. It was a freebie from cocoon blanks on a past order. Did not like being photographed. It's a very confusing hybrid blank. Figured it was a good way to practice. I still need more work getting closer at the interface of the blank and the pen hardware

FDCCCA4E-3186-4770-BACA-ABDD062F4F99.jpeg
944EB0A9-DC11-496D-8641-6F19B655BB3D.jpeg

derekdd

And finished the last one for the weekend. Can't say that I'm a fan of the blank. It was a freebie from cocoon blanks on a past order. Did not like being photographed. It's a very confusing hybrid blank. Figured it was a good way to practice. I still need more work getting closer at the interface of the blank and the pen hardware

View attachment 357224View attachment 357225
Very unique.

Interesting kit, as well.

Top Bottom