The Bonspiel Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mach4

Mach4

In the sport of Curling, all of the high-end Stones are made from granite quarried from Ailsa Craig, a 240 acre island in the Firth of Clyde off the coast of Scotland. The physical properties of this stone are uniquely suited to the environmental conditions of the sport. This stone is becoming increasingly scarce due to environmental restrictions on the island.

This pen is made from Ailsa Craig Blue Hone Granite along with the matching Cabochon Pendant.

FABD21E0-B643-4A19-9EA3-87B7C30015B6.jpeg

I really enjoy working with rare, unusual and unique materials that push the limits....and especially where there is a story behind the material.

A Bonspiel is a Curling Tournament.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pnemox

May I ask how you drilled through the material? I have a similar project in mind with stone and have been considering carbide masonry and diamond drill bits. Do you have a different method?

Mach4

May I ask how you drilled through the material? I have a similar project in mind with stone and have been considering carbide masonry and diamond drill bits. Do you have a different method?
Early in the research and development process I tried carbide with zero success. In my opinion diamond is the only reasonable way to go and even then I have material blow up on me.

Water jet is an interesting option, but a bit spendy and drilling depth is a significant limitation, likewise with laser. Ultrasonic has potential but that is extremely spendy and potentially size limited.

pnemox

I appreciate the info. I felt like diamond would be better but have not tested it yet. The other options are some I never even considered.

Top Bottom