The American Association Of Woodturners (AAW), IAP and MPG Join Forces and We Need Your Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

At this years 37th International Woodturning Symposium in Louisville, the AAW is including an exciting new activity – general public "Learn To Turn". There will be an area in the vendor room – open to the general public – encouraging people to come in and experience the fun and enjoyment of wood turning. And the project – their very own wood pen. And not just any wood – the wood was donated by the Louisville Slugger Corporation. What a perfect combination for a first pen.

The AAW has asked both the Midwest Pen Turners and the IAP to help support this effort and I have been asked to head this venture up. I honestly could use your help. The team in Chicago has prepped over 500 blanks – cut from bat billets, drilled, tubes glued, and end faced. We expect a big crowd. This is where you come in.

I need help manning the booth at the event as a mentor. If you are planning on coming to the event (and you really should consider it – the demonstrators are world class and the topics look great) or simply live in the area – can I ask you to help mentor the turners? If you have never mentored beginning turners, you have no idea the fun you are missing out on. Sharing knowledge and socializing is just the start. The smile on the faces when they see a completed work of art is so worth it. And getting to listen to them brag will bring the same smile to your face.

When the AAW came and asked for help the Chicago IAP chapter and MPG could not say no. Having Jeff and the IAP sponsor this kicks it up a notch. The IAP is perfect for this and I could not be happier Jeff immediately offered to help. And best of all you will be in the vendor room (you know that room – all the tools - Tim Allen's dream room). Contact me for details but here are the basics:

AAW Annual Symposium
June 1 – 4
Louisville, Kentucky

Symposium Details Here

To volunteer and sign up for a slot in the room

Please consider helping me, the MPG, the IAP and the AAW out and give a few hours to share your knowledge and experience. One thing I promise you is that it will be fun. PM me with any questions.

Thanks,
Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I hope you get some volunteers. I wish my schedule was more open to be able to attend because it sounds like a great opportunity for many aspects.. Enjoy.

sbwertz

At this years 37th International Woodturning Symposium in Louisville, the AAW is including an exciting new activity – general public "Learn To Turn". There will be an area in the vendor room – open to the general public – encouraging people to come in and experience the fun and enjoyment of wood turning. And the project – their very own wood pen. And not just any wood – the wood was donated by the Louisville Slugger Corporation. What a perfect combination for a first pen.

The AAW has asked both the Midwest Pen Turners and the IAP to help support this effort and I have been asked to head this venture up. I honestly could use your help. The team in Chicago has prepped over 500 blanks – cut from bat billets, drilled, tubes glued, and end faced. We expect a big crowd. This is where you come in.

I need help manning the booth at the event as a mentor. If you are planning on coming to the event (and you really should consider it – the demonstrators are world class and the topics look great) or simply live in the area – can I ask you to help mentor the turners? If you have never mentored beginning turners, you have no idea the fun you are missing out on. Sharing knowledge and socializing is just the start. The smile on the faces when they see a completed work of art is so worth it. And getting to listen to them brag will bring the same smile to your face.

When the AAW came and asked for help the Chicago IAP chapter and MPG could not say no. Having Jeff and the IAP sponsor this kicks it up a notch. The IAP is perfect for this and I could not be happier Jeff immediately offered to help. And best of all you will be in the vendor room (you know that room – all the tools - Tim Allen's dream room). Contact me for details but here are the basics:

AAW Annual Symposium
June 1 – 4
Louisville, Kentucky

Symposium Details Here

To volunteer and sign up for a slot in the room

Please consider helping me, the MPG, the IAP and the AAW out and give a few hours to share your knowledge and experience. One thing I promise you is that it will be fun. PM me with any questions.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark, that is exactly how I got started at the Arizona Center for the Blind. I was at the symposium in Phoenix in 2014 when I was approached by Andi Sullivan. They had a room set up with a dozen or so lathes for kids to turn while their parents were visiting the symposium. Andi was using the room during the lunch break for students from the blind center to turn a pen. I helped a turner, and afterwards, Andi approached me about starting a Lighthouse For the Blind turning project in Phoenix. The rest is history.

Woodchipper

Not able to make the symposium for the open public day. However, let me suggest that one should visit the Hillerich & Bradsbury plant to see how baseball bats are made. Totally automated except for the painting. They have a short video that is interesting. I had my photo made, using Ronald Acuna, Jr.'s bat and Mickey Mantle's bat.

Top Bottom