The 2016 GET IT DONE CONTEST - official rules

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

It is time to:

:bananen_smilies047:"Get it Done" :bananen_smilies047:

Fast Speedy Quick Hot Nimble Swift Dashing Supersonic

If these words describe you, then this contest is right up your alley!

In addition to the Universal Contest Rules, the rules for this contest are:

You will have only one (1) (not 2) (uno) week to submit your entry starting on Monday the 8th of February and ending on Sunday the 14th (edited to correct the date) of February 2016. That is right! You ONLY HAVE ONE WEEK to make and enter your pen into this (THE BEST) contest. So you will need to GET IT DONE!

Officially it will start whenever I get around to posting the specific DETAILS (listed below) sometime during the morning on Monday the 8th(probably around 9 A.M. Eastern Time). It will end on Sunday night the 14th (edited to correct date) at midnight – based on the International Date Line, so everyone can have the full use of the weekend to finish up this speedy project.

The DETAILS: For this contest each person must make a pen using:

1) A cigar pen kit for the components.
This kind of cigar:

Not this kind of cigar:
140855d1447355969-get-done-pen-contest-cigar-pen.png

2) It must be a segmented blank with these contents:

a. some sort of wood (plain, spalted, colored, stained, burl, ply, whatever – but this piece does not count as one of the "colors" below)

b. Three (3) (not dos) (tres) separate pieces in three different colors from this list of common colors: Red, Yellow, Orange, Blue, Purple, Green, White or Black. These 3 pieces/colors can be either wood or resin. Shades of colors are fine, but they must be 3 different colors (not 3 shades of blue). Casted mixed colors (like a blue and green swirl) in the blank will not be allowed they must be 3 separate color segments. These 3 colors are in addition to the wood in item a. above. EDIT/Clarification as of 11:00 AM 2/8- the color of the wood in item a. above CAN be repeated in item b. however, it cannot be the same material (if you use an orange wood for item a. you can you something orange for item b., BUT it cannot be the same item - you can't use 2 pieces of Osage Orange for both a. and b.)

c. Some type of other material needs to be used in the segmented blank. Some examples of what I mean by "other" are: a large piece of aluminum, some brass, a thin slice from a pop can, guitar pickguard, a piece of a credit card, a plastic pop bottle cap, a slice of leather, poly clay, deer antler, a piece of D.Oliver's AARP card, most any type of plastic, Corian, etc.. If you are unsure of the material you have in mind please PM me or post in this thread.

To sum it up, there must be 5 different things represented in the blank: wood, 3 separate colors, and some other material (like metal or plastic or something other than a wood or acrylic blank).

Rules Clarification (added 2/11 8:00AM Eastern) - The pen must contain all 5 elements listed above, it is not restricted to "just" 5 pieces. As an example - the "other material" can be used more than once in the pen. If you use a slice of a pop can for the "other" material, you may use multiple slices of the pop can.

3) If your pen does not contain all of the items required above we will encourage you to enter it into one of the other contests!

The Rules:
1. This is a pen contest: your entry must be made by you.
2. Only 1 entry per person.
3. Sorry, no modifications to the kit/components.
4. You are allowed up to 3 pictures. The only prop allowed is a simple clear (these are usually made of acrylic) pen stand. The background of the picture should be a solid color. No mirrors, blocks of wood, or other items. The pictures must be uploaded to the link provided in the entry form.
Please Do Not Enter Submissions In This Thread.
5. Pictures, videos, or other representations of your pen are NOT to be posted anywhere (Facebook, your own website, etc) until after the results of the final voting have been published here on the IAP.
6. Bribes, graft, hush money, and inducement may be accepted in the form of shredded money blanks. . . .

The poll for voting will be posted sometime on the 17th of February 2016 and will close 72 hours later on the 20th of February 2016. Voters will be encouraged to cast their vote based on: workmanship, use of materials, and overall appearance of the pen.

The prizes will be as follows:
First- Blanks #02 hdbblue $125.00 ../.. Pen kits #2 Golden Nib $81.00
Second- Pen Kits #10 Lazerline $100.00 ../.. Gift Certificate #1 Rockler $50.00
Third- Leroi Pen kit #2 Smitty $50.00 ../.. Gift Certificate #3 R and B Crafts $50.00

To enter use this link to the form: Get It Done 2016 Entry Form

Please feel free to PM me with any questions or post your question here.

Now stop reading this thread and GET IT DONE!!

Last edited:

lyonsacc

The required elements have been added in the rules section!!

Now it is time to GET IT DONE!!

Let me know if you have any questions. The description of what is needed seems crystal clear to me, so that means they are probably a bit messy (I've learned after running my own business and being married for almost 25 years that things that are clear to me are usually not clear to the rest of the world!)

Have fun!

Dave

Maverick KB

Thanks Dave,
Seems crystal clear to me, but to make sure it's not a trickery of lighting...

2-a. A piece of wood... can be colored... not one listed in 2-b.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, a colored piece of wood (dyed, ply whatever) as long as it is not Red,Yellow, Orange, Blue, Purple, Green, White or Black

The question here - is Ebony black, Osage Orange orange, Lignum (aged) green and silkwood white? Do the wood's natural colors disqualify it or are these acceptable if the qualifications for 2-b are fulfilled as well with 3 different colors? (resulting in 4 total unique colors for 2-a and 2-b)

Pkweiss

So, if I'm reading this correctly, a colored piece of wood (dyed, ply whatever) as long as it is not Red,Yellow, Orange, Blue, Purple, Green, White or Black

I'm reading it differently. The wood can be any color, it just won't count towards 2b.

Last edited:

lyonsacc

Thanks Dave,
Seems crystal clear to me, but to make sure it's not a trickery of lighting...

2-a. A piece of wood... can be colored... not one listed in 2-b.

The question here - is Ebony black, Osage Orange orange, Lignum (aged) green and silkwood white? Do the wood's natural colors disqualify it or are these acceptable if the qualifications for 2-b are fulfilled as well with 3 different colors? (resulting in 4 total unique colors for 2-a and 2-b)

Good question. Let's go with:
The (2a) wood can be any color (i.e. Osage Orange). The (2b) colors can include an orange piece, but it can not be the same piece of wood as (2a).
Does that help? I will edit the above instructions to clarify.

lyonsacc

Question, if the segments are not wood, do they count as the other material?

I think you are asking about item c. above. Is that correct? Item c is to be some material that is not wood or acrylic/pr/allumilite (typical pen blank material).

There need to be 5 separate materials/items used to make the blank:
1 item a (wood),
3 items b (3 colors) - I just reread the rules and item b asks for the 3 items to be made of wood or resin (with "resin" ambiguously meaning the materials used in many pen blanks - Poly resin, Allumilite, Inlace Acryluster (sp), etc.)
1 "other" non traditional material - in other words, not wood, PR, Allumilite, etc.

These are all great questions!
Please let me know if this cleared things up for you or made them messier.

Thanks!
Dave

magpens

Do I understand corrrectly that the submission deadline is Sunday Feb 14th (not Monday the 15th) at midnight IN MY TIME ZONE ???

Last edited:

lyonsacc

Do I understand corrrectly that the submission deadline is Sunday Feb 14th (not Monday the 15th) at midnight IN MY TIME ZONE ???

Somebody changed the calendar on me! Sorry about the date being wrong.

Submissions must be in by Midnight Sunday the 14th - official timed by the international date line. So for those of us in the Eastern Time Zone USA, it would be 7 AM Monday morning. That gives our friends in Hawaii full use of their Sunday.

twinsen

Somebody changed the calendar on me! Sorry about the date being wrong.

Submissions must be in by Midnight Sunday the 14th - official timed by the international date line. So for those of us in the Eastern Time Zone USA, it would be 7 AM Monday morning. That gives our friends in Hawaii full use of their Sunday.

ValentinesMeme.jpg

magpens

So am I now correct in saying that the submission deadline is midnight in American Samoa on Valentine's Day ?????????

lyonsacc

Rules Clarification (added 2/11 8:00AM Eastern) - The pen must contain all 5 elements listed above, it is not restricted to "just" 5 pieces. As an example - the "other material" can be used more than once in the pen. If you use a slice of a pop can for the "other" material, you may use multiple slices of the pop can.

Questions have been asked. Brains have been put together. Decisions have been made. Hopefully this hasn't caused you any problems.

Now GET BACK TO WORK so you can GET IT DONE!!!

You have LESS THAN 4 DAYS!!!

lyonsacc

65 hours left!!

Time to GET IT DONE!

I got it done!.... but when I go to Submit there is no where to give a description of my entry, what it is made of, what kit, bla bla bla, etc.

Is that how it is supposed to be?

Got it!

Correct - there is no spot to give me a description. That was my fault, I didn't have Curtis put that in the entry form when he was making them.

Thanks for PMing me the details. For future entrants - please feel free to pm me the details of your pen.

lyonsacc

I am working on setting up the poll this morning.

We have a lot of GREAT looking pens here.

I'll ask for your patience as I have some unexpected dental work this morning.

lyonsacc

I am working on setting up the poll this morning.

We have a lot of GREAT looking pens here.

I'll ask for your patience as I have some unexpected dental work this morning.

I just reread my own rules and realized we had decided to wait on posting the poll until Wednesday so that it can last until sometime on Saturday so that the weekend viewers of the IAP will have an opportunity to vote.

So - you will all have to patiently wait (sorry).

Dave

lyonsacc

So, without further ado, I will present the 11 entries in the 2016 GET IT DONE Contest.

A voting poll will be posted on Wednesday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom