That Wizard chappie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chriscb

Chriscb

Evening,
A sort of commission this one. One of our daughters is having a rough time of it currently. She's an avid fan of Mr Potter, and uses a pen frequently. She has an eclectic colour taste (so the combination isn't my idea!)
Main body is a Cullinor Acrylique Spellbinder blank, with orange Nikko caps, a centre of Derby Girl and an eye of Red Dragon (both Mackenzie blanks.)
The pen has an alternate configuration - a Bock #5 nib and a Schmidt rollerball. I have found through use that the pen can be left uncapped overnight and still write on demand with no hard starts - very useful if you do a lot of writing interspersed with doing something else - such as turning a pen!
Capped length: 138
Uncapped length : 127
Cap diameter: 16.94
Barrel diameter: 16.44
Section length: 22 (RB) 28(Nib)
Section diameter at pinch: 10.4

As ever, critiques please.

Chriscb

Attachments

• 220505_hog 1 _0001_Layer 5.jpg
    220505_hog 1 _0001_Layer 5.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 169
  • 220505_hog 1 _0002_Layer 4.jpg
    220505_hog 1 _0002_Layer 4.jpg
    777.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 220505_hog 1 _0004_Layer 3.jpg
    220505_hog 1 _0004_Layer 3.jpg
    658 KB · Views: 156
  • 220505_hog 1 _0003_Layer 3 copy.jpg
    220505_hog 1 _0003_Layer 3 copy.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 220505_hog 1 _0005_Layer 2.jpg
    220505_hog 1 _0005_Layer 2.jpg
    808.3 KB · Views: 162
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

Chris

very pleasant shape to view. How does it feel in the hand, comfortable to use ?

Reason for the end caps ? I love the proportions , colour is intriguing.

well done

Well done, love the end caps. I can appreciate the work that goes into making a kitless rollerball pen. For me it has all the right things, not too fat, pen and cap are the same size, good proportions, a little bling. If I had to be mean and say something it would be that it needs a clip. Very well done.

Chriscb

Chris

very pleasant shape to view. How does it feel in the hand, comfortable to use ?

Reason for the end caps ? I love the proportions , colour is intriguing.

well done
Thanks for your comments. It's very comfortable in the hand, light and both sections fit well to the finger. The colour of the blank is all to do with the Gryffindor house (Harry Potter).
When I'm using a blank that's got an obvious pattern or grain I tend to use a band to break the disjointed mismatch at the cap/barrel junction. I then echo the band at either end of the pen to balance it. (and I haven't yet got the skill level to perfectly match pattern or grain when threading the cap/barrel junction!)
At first I did a lot of head scratching when deciding on pen proportions. Having measured countless pens I have arrived at a ratio between the cap and barrel that appears to my eye to be balanced. For the majority of pens it seems to work, but as an old Maths professor used to tell me there are the ambiguous cases where it doesn't!
Chriscb

Chriscb

Well done, love the end caps. I can appreciate the work that goes into making a kitless rollerball pen. For me it has all the right things, not too fat, pen and cap are the same size, good proportions, a little bling. If I had to be mean and say something it would be that it needs a clip. Very well done.
Thanks for your comments. It was a good pen to make - in a day (which for me is light speed!). I'm not fond of clips and tend not to include them on pens - although I dare say that will change in time. I did make a pen rest for it, so it won't roll off her desk.
Chriscb

Top Bottom