That was LOUD. 2500rmp to 0rpm in 0seconds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rixstix

B/C change gear shaft/bushing seize
2500 rpm to 0 rpm in 0 seconds or 90 degrees worth of missing teeth on the 80T gear

Now I understand the reason for plastic change gears. I can only imagine what would have "Come from together" if the gears had been metal.

It was just lubed 14 days ago after a threading lesson.

Replacement parts already ordered.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rixstix

Still have 3 "backup" wood lathes. Parts aren't quite interchangeable w/metal lathe though.

I can still manually turn. Just cant use the lead screw. LMS is usually quick to ship.

Your Sunday b'fast looked really good.

Penchant 4

B/C change gear shaft/bushing seize
2500 rpm to 0 rpm in 0 seconds or 90 degrees worth of missing teeth on the 80T gear

Now I understand the reason for plastic change gears. I can only imagine what would have "Come from together" if the gears had been metal.

It was just lubed 14 days ago after a threading lesson.

Replacement parts already ordered.
Was it a 'plastic compatible' lubricant?

rixstix

I was able to separate the sleeve and shaft yesterday. The point of seizure was at the washer behind the capscrew holding the B/C gear pair onto the shaft. I'm leaning towards there not being enough grease between the washer and sleeve, since the sleeve rotates against the washer as well as on the shaft, causing wear/steel bits to gall themselves together. There was no wear anywhere else on the shaft/sleeve.

I didn't have cigarette paper to use as a gauge for gear spacing. I can just hear the gossip around our smalltown of 652 if I bought some from the local store. :cool:

Top Bottom