That long thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

If you like turning plastic.... Don't you just love it when you get that continuous thread coming off the lathe? It can be frustrating when it wraps back on. Well it just looked so nice I had to take a pic. Also cant believe the difference in a really sharp tool. I setup a wolverine and it is about 100 times better than hand held with a belt sander. It's sort of obvious what is getting turned here also :)
20210416_141552[1].jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I like it, but on a different note, I cant wrap my head around how you are using your bushings. The one on the left looks like maybe for a cigar pen, with 3 diameters, but looks like nothing is inserted in the pen tube/blank. What am I not seeing?

carlmorrell

I like it, but on a different note, I cant wrap my head around how you are using your bushings. The one on the left looks like maybe for a cigar pen, with 3 diameters, but looks like nothing is inserted in the pen tube/blank. What am I not seeing?
Ken,

That is the lower half of a Majestic Jr. They are older Penn State bushings, comes in 3 pieces: top, center and bottom On the left, the center bushing is for both upper and lower blank. I never turn both blanks at the same time. On the right is the tip bushing and an old bushing, to get a reasonable length. I am using a woodpecker (overpriced and not worth it) mandrel. But I hate mandrel savers, so I am using an older 14" rod that is threaded at the end. It's easier to add a bushing than change the length.

BTW, the Majestic Jr has different dimensions from all the other "Jrs". I made that mistake a few weeks ago, grabbed the generic bushings, when I wanted to make a Majestic Jr.

KenB259

Ken,

That is the lower half of a Majestic Jr. They are older Penn State bushings, comes in 3 pieces: top, center and bottom On the left, the center bushing is for both upper and lower blank. I never turn both blanks at the same time. On the right is the tip bushing and an old bushing, to get a reasonable length. I am using a woodpecker (overpriced and not worth it) mandrel. But I hate mandrel savers, so I am using an older 14" rod that is threaded at the end. It's easier to add a bushing than change the length.

BTW, the Majestic Jr has different dimensions from all the other "Jrs". I made that mistake a few weeks ago, grabbed the generic bushings, when I wanted to make a Majestic Jr.
Ok , I see now :) I have the woodpeckers mandrel also, yes it's expensive, but I love mine.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Nothing like that sharp tool that makes wood or acrylic feel like butter. Some woods do better than others but still it is the sharpness that makes turning sweet!

Top Bottom