That bar on Tormek, et. al. sharpeners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

I have the Wen knockoff version of the Tormek wet stone sharpener. The guide bar (or whatever it's called) will mount vertically or horizontally. On this unit, if the switch is facing you, the stone is on the left, the stropping wheel on the right, and the horizontal mounts for the guide bar are on the opposite side of the switch. I've been using it horizontally, but that puts the on/off/reverse switch on the "back" side of the unit. I've thought it might work better if I were able to swap the wheels. The water reservoir will mount on either side, so I would guess it's possible?

What are your preferences as for the guide bar mounting? Do you use different positions for different tools? Is there less mess (splash) one way compared to the other?

I did just pick up some Tormek jigs for it after getting tired of trying to line up the skew edges with the provided jig. I'm betting that will be a night and day difference. The jigs cost more than the sharpener, but at least I saved several hundred on that so I could afford the jigs a bit sooner.

rherrell

I don't know if this will help you but I made some sharpening platforms for an IAP member that fit his Work Sharp 3000 sharpener. They're adjustable to any angle up to about 45 degrees and he says they work great.

Here are some pics...

IMG_5681.jpg
IMG_5683.jpg
IMG_5688.jpg
IMG_9112.JPG
IMG_9113.JPG
IMG_9115.JPG

Top Bottom