Thanks to Woodcraft!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I had posted about a Wall Street III that I was causing some frustration. Fully assembled, it wouldn't advance the pen refill. Took it to the Chattanooga store yesterday. Phil looked at my kit, pulled one from stock and compared. My tranny was broken and too short to work properly. Gave me a replacement. He also gave me a sheet with their Facebook page and asked if I would post photos of my pens. He is putting together a class on casting that doesn't use a pressure pot. Can't remember the name of the resin but I'm going to look into it. Design and pour one Saturday and turn the next Saturday as it requires several hours to set. Anyone know what it is? Walked out with ten wood blanks; ten for $10. Synthetic blanks were ten for $29.95. Next time.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I support the local Woodcraft Store in Harrisburg PA because they are very helpful if I need something. Sometimes, I don't know the name of what I need but they are there to guide me!

People ask me why I do this as the things I buy are cheaper elsewhere, but my response is I want them there to help me when I need it!

jttheclockman

I do not know the name of the resin being used but just about all the 2 part epoxy resin probably do not need pressure. They have a long open times and the bubbles will dissipate. Just need to not mix too vigorously and keep bubbles to a minimum. I use Liquid Diamonds alot and that epoxy resin is like that.

Hippie3180

Sorry, I would tend to disagree with this. Any poly resin needs pressure. Not enough open time for bubbles to dissipate.
I have a friend that uses Silmar 41 exclusively and no pressure pot. She may get a few bubbles she has to fill, but honestly you can get them with Alumilite under pressure as well sometimes.

Woodchipper

As stated, the fellow at WC said they poured one Saturday and turned the next Saturday. No pressure pot. Can't remember the brand of material.

jttheclockman

I have a friend that uses Silmar 41 exclusively and no pressure pot. She may get a few bubbles she has to fill, but honestly you can get them with Alumilite under pressure as well sometimes.
Good for her. I too use alot of silmar and there is no way I can not do it without pressure. I would never want to chance it. Now there are alot of Silmar formulas out there so be aware of that too.

Hippie3180

Good for her. I too use alot of silmar and there is no way I can not do it without pressure. I would never want to chance it. Now there are alot of Silmar formulas out there so be aware of that too.
I dint use it, but I believe she's using Silmar 41, I think she does fill a few bubbles, but over all I guess it works for her.

Top Bottom