Thanks to OldWrangler George.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I am slowly learning a bit about bowl turning. :confused: I was finishing the bottom of this silk wood bowl when the bottom flexed. Before I could figure out this was wrong, the bottom developed a bit of a hole in it. Since I had a friend over turning with me, I refrained from a bit of sailor language. I was ready to step outside the shop and make a Frisbee out of it when Howard suggest I patch it. I immediately remembered George's post about his bowl/picture frame. So, I made the hole bigger and into more solid wood. Then, I turned a piece of black walnut to fit, glued it in and turned everything as uniformly as I could. A couple of coats of shellac, and then some Behlen's lacquer and it is my very first "segmented" bowl. :rolleyes:

The funny mark on the bottom is my attempt at a logo. (Don't ask! :redface:) Suggestions for reasonably prices custom branding irons would be appreciated.

Michigan is visible in the photos. You know who you are!. :)

Attachments

• silkwood bowl 2.jpg
    silkwood bowl 2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 244
  • silkwood bowl.jpg
    silkwood bowl.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 241
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Great save and a beautiful bowl Cav . Now if I ever turn through the bottom I'll know how to fix it instead of tossing it , not that I've ever overturned a piece :rolleyes::biggrin:

S

spiritwoodturner

I did that once on the prettiest piece of Bloodwood ever. I was sanding, shoulda heard a mile away the sound it makes when it's about a printer paper thickness, and bang, right through. The bummer was the outside was finished, just like glass. I had a bunch of hand-painted cabachons around, so did the same thing, cut a hole big enough, left a little ledge for the thingy to sit on, got some epoxy, and voila, sold it for 200 bucks the first show after!

But that is one sick feeling, eh? I spent months thinking of crazy things to make of it- a lampshade, a wall sconce, a target for my M1, a porta-pottie (hey, the hole was already in it...), but glad to settle on something useful.

Great save, Cav, really nice piece. Make sure and tell folks it was on purpose.

Dale

marcruby

Welcome to the Ancient Order of Funnel Makers!! It came out pretty well, all things considered. I keep a number of agate and other stone rounds in a drawer for just such 'opportunities.'

Marc

wdcav1952

Glenn, can I just declare myself a FOFM member since I initiated myself with this project, or is there a formal process to become a member? Don't mention dues, I already am a member of GA (Gullible Anonymous)!!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Don't use a branding iron on a nice bowl! Very impersonal and looks "production". Instead, go to hobby lobby or similar and buy a gold paint pen in fine. Then write the wood species, date it, and sign it. Much classier than a branding iron.

wdcav1952

Don't use a branding iron on a nice bowl! Very impersonal and looks "production". Instead, go to hobby lobby or similar and buy a gold paint pen in fine. Then write the wood species, date it, and sign it. Much classier than a branding iron.

Interesting idea, Curtis. I may just give that a try. I wanted a logo made up of a C with a smaller w inside of the C. My attempts at wood burning were poor. I will give Michaels a look see tomorrow.

Thanks,

S

spiritwoodturner

Interesting idea, Curtis. I may just give that a try. I wanted a logo made up of a C with a smaller w inside of the C. My attempts at wood burning were poor. I will give Michaels a look see tomorrow.

Thanks,

Cav, they have 'em at Office Depot too, Pilot Gold Marker. I'm with Curtis on this, brands on bowls aren't my favorite. But burning does take practice and time. The first ones I did, I thought, "Hey, higher heat must be better and quicker" so I cranked my little Cub up to 10 and the second I touched the bowl, with very little pressure, I damn near went all the way through the bottom of it! Repeated attempts weren't much better. Then, a member of my Woodturner's Club, Tom W. (who is now an officer of AAW National) brought these incredible platters he does to one of the meetings. As awesome as his work was, his signature was perfect-burned in. I asked him how the heck he did that, and he taught me about drawing the 2 boundary lines in pencil while the bowl was spinning, then using pencil to write my name, date, piece #, whatever, then burn with moderately low heat and light pressure. Sand off the pencil lines and voila, I am still a long way off from Tom's, but way better than when I started.

Course, you can skip the whole damned process with the Gold Pens! And I think they look great, too. More "personal" than a brand.

Show us what you come up with.

Dale

Top Bottom