Cheer Thanks to Ohio Penworks / Mike Broberg!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

One morning last October i woke with highly obscured vision in my right eye. One of our recently hired staffers had been an optometrist, when i asked her she had me at an ophthalmologist within a few hours. He sent me to a retina surgeon the next morning. Two laser surgeries later--that eye is almost healed and i have depth perception. The camera shots of the retina looked like outer space--but they could not provide a digital copy to me so we took some pics of the computer monitor with my phone.

Mike patiently worked with me, and did what he could to turn those into files he could use to make labels for clear casting. I've turned 2 so far, one for my staffer (i'd have waited too long without her guidance) and the other for the retina surgeon. When i saw her last Monday, she said she couldn't accept a gift--then i handed her the Vertex click. She recognized it as a retina immediately--but was stunned when i told her it was MY eye. Got the attached note yesterday--and most of the thanks go to Mike Broberg for making something out of not much!! He invested more time than i paid him for on a custom job--can't thank him enough for that!!

I don't have any blanks turned, so the attached pics are horrid--but they came out better than expected. One more will go to the ophthalmologist--that may motivate him to find a way to get a file with my pics!!

Thanks Mike!!
earl
Earl's Eye TY Note.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Those blanks are beautiful !!!

Who would have thought that such beauty is found in the human eye !!

I will also take this opportunity to add some compliments for Mike Broberg. . I know how patient, helpful and dedicated he is to doing a great job of the pen blanks that he makes. . He worked with me a couple of years ago on a pet project of mine (pen blanks depicting classic airplanes).
Thanks and Cheers ... again ... to Mike !!

Last edited:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Thanks for the kind words. My wife and I marveled at how cool those images are. These are now the most unusual or unexpected images I've ever been asked to cast. (They knocked the full-frontal nude pen a customer had me make to give to her husband for a Christmas gift out of 1st place - LOL.) I also had a retina detach but the thought of casting the images never crossed my mind. Here is a better look at the images.

IMG_2848.JPGIMG_2849.JPGIMG_2850.JPGIMG_2851.JPGIMG_2852.JPGSierra1.jpgSierra2.jpgSierra3.jpgVertex1.jpgVertex2.jpgVertex3.jpgVertex4.jpgVertex5.jpg

greenacres2

Thanks for posting those Mike. First time i saw them, it reminded me of something we'd see from deep space. Some of the colors are NOT supposed to be there--but it almost made it worthwhile!!

@ Magpens--we went to the "Air Zoo" in Kalamazoo, Michigan last weekend for grandson's birthday party. We ran out of time to go out to the restoration building, but the main museum was much larger than i'd have thought, and we were amazed. A place you might enjoy. The cockpit on their SR-71 was open--that is an incredible plane!! At 84,000 feet and Mach 3.4, it almost classifies as a spacecraft in my thinking.

earl

Penchant 4

One morning last October i woke with highly obscured vision in my right eye. One of our recently hired staffers had been an optometrist, when i asked her she had me at an ophthalmologist within a few hours. He sent me to a retina surgeon the next morning. Two laser surgeries later--that eye is almost healed and i have depth perception. The camera shots of the retina looked like outer space--but they could not provide a digital copy to me so we took some pics of the computer monitor with my phone.

Mike patiently worked with me, and did what he could to turn those into files he could use to make labels for clear casting. I've turned 2 so far, one for my staffer (i'd have waited too long without her guidance) and the other for the retina surgeon. When i saw her last Monday, she said she couldn't accept a gift--then i handed her the Vertex click. She recognized it as a retina immediately--but was stunned when i told her it was MY eye. Got the attached note yesterday--and most of the thanks go to Mike Broberg for making something out of not much!! He invested more time than i paid him for on a custom job--can't thank him enough for that!!

I don't have any blanks turned, so the attached pics are horrid--but they came out better than expected. One more will go to the ophthalmologist--that may motivate him to find a way to get a file with my pics!!

Thanks Mike!!
earl
View attachment 232669
Detached or torn?

greenacres2

Glad to hear that the eye is healing well. Detached, or torn?

I'm quite sure she said partial detachment on the first go--had the gas bubble inserted then laid on my side for 11 days, with laser to repair. Second laser was strictly for a tear. Not going to lie--the laser hurt.
earl

Top Bottom