Thanks to IAP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alan Morrison

Alan Morrison

I recently got a gift voucher for $25 from the Pretty Wood Competition donated by George's bits of Timber who operates in South Australia.
Part of my prize was some blanks from the Lucerne tree ( Cytisus proliferus ) Thanks to Michael Redburn.
Here is the first pen that I turned. The kit is a Sirocco from Beaufort.
DSCF0317.jpg
DSCF0315.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Great work Alan and thank you for the "plug"...! đź‘Ť

I haven't seen a pen made with that wood for some time, indeed a long time, and like any other wood species, each single piece is different to the next one but there are some characteristics that will be common on blanks from that wood species that many people never thought it could become a tree (small tree), most people connect the word Lucerne to stock food and they are correct but if left untouched/uneaten for many years, the bush turns into a tree, unfortunately, they have a very short life expectancy of about 15 to 20 years.

Cheers
George

Alan Morrison

most people connect the word Lucerne to stock food
George
[/QUOTE

Hello George.
In N Ireland Cytisus, as you probably know, is known as a spring flowering shrub of the pea family and commonly called "broom "--- as in the old days the twigs were tied up tightly and attached to a shaft and were called besoms. These were the forerunners of the brush.
When I lived in Australia I knew lucerne was used in the same way as we use hay but never imagined that I would ever make a pen from that material, so thanks for the blanks that you donated and I look forward to turning the other timbers that you sent.
Look forward to doing more business.
Alan

Top Bottom