Thanks Curtis!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

Last night, LOML and I went to visit Curtis (Mesquiteman). It was a learning experience for me. He knows so much more about local wood, some of them I've never even heard of before. Let's just say I added a few species to hunt for :D.

His shop is probably one of the biggest I've seen! His table saw's footprint alone is probably bigger than my work are!!! [:0].

He shared some techniques and tips about cactus casting but not sure if I got it down even with all his help. It is much more complicated than I am equipped right now. He made a new cactus pen which really WOWed (is there such word?) me and my wife.

I also scored some dry cactus skeletons, some wood and a few drool worthy pen blanks which you will all see in a few weeks as pen(s). ;)

My trip is definitely worth it. Thanks again Curtis!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Dario,

It was a real pleasure visiting with you and your wife! I am glad I was able to share some of my local wood knowledge with you. Thank you very much for the pen blank you brought me! I really appreciate it, even though I told you I was not interested in wood other than native Texan! What I really meant was that I am not interested in selling pens made with wood other then Texan!

Anyway, you are welcome at my shop ANYTIME!

That goes for anyone else in the Central Texas area. I really enjoy having visitors and sharing.

airrat

I lived in Texas for a few years. Does that mean if I am in the area I can sneak a peek? [:D][8D]

Little story about my experience in Texas, after moving there I went to get my driver license. I get everything filled out and wait in the line that took over 2 hours. It was hot, stuffy and no where to sit. I finally got up to the lady at the counter and she started working on it for me. She seemed to be in a poor attitude. About half way through she stopped and looked at me and around and stated very loudly,"You know this will never make you a true Texan or considered a Texas citizen!" I was shocked and just about speechless, however, I replied to her," Its ok I never wanted to be a Texass citizen." She got a blank look on her face, didn't even look at my forms, just did what she had to do and sent me away. I was out of there in less then 10 min.

lwalden

Don't feel bad, Tom. I've lived in Texas 31 of the 44 years I've been on this planet, and while 95% of the folks I meet are one's I'd invite home to dinner, there are still a few with high criteria for being considered a true Texan. Even being born in the State doesn't qualify for some- all three of my children were born here in the Dallas area, and I had a person at work point out that my kids weren't true Texans, under the same standard that if a cat gives birth to it's litter of kittens in the oven, you wouldn't consider them biscuits...... but these seem to be few and far between. Even given the blistering summers, I wouldn't consider living anywhere else- because of the people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom