Thank you IAP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rob H

Just wanted to thank IAP for a great site. Not only can you have discussions with other pen enthusiasts but the wealth of helpful knowledge available to members is amazing.

I was having issues with constantly experiencing chip/blow outs. I only have carbide tools as I originally started this journey for ring turning. I purchased a cheap set of HSS tools (I know you get what you pay for) and I would be surprised if I could spread butter with them let alone shape wood. I don't have the patience to learn to sharpen them at this time. But by searching threads and the resource library I have been able to cut them down significantly by reading people's own experiences and watching lots of videos and it makes the hobby more enjoyable when you have more success than failure.

So again Thank You.

Hippie3180

Just wanted to thank IAP for a great site. Not only can you have discussions with other pen enthusiasts but the wealth of helpful knowledge available to members is amazing.

I was having issues with constantly experiencing chip/blow outs. I only have carbide tools as I originally started this journey for ring turning. I purchased a cheap set of HSS tools (I know you get what you pay for) and I would be surprised if I could spread butter with them let alone shape wood. I don't have the patience to learn to sharpen them at this time. But by searching threads and the resource library I have been able to cut them down significantly by reading people's own experiences and watching lots of videos and it makes the hobby more enjoyable when you have more success than failure.

So again Thank You.
So glad your here. We all start out with chips and blow outs, in fact months later it still happens. Tools are a thing you just add as you go. One or two tools a month. A Wolverine sharpening jig will make sharpening so much easier. Keep at it, you'll get the hang of it. Also, some woods are easier than others and in terms of resin blanks, Alumilite blanks are some of the easiest to turn. Pick up a few of those and try them, great entry level blanks. Lots of wisdom on here, also RJB Woodturner on You Tube has some of the best online pen videos, on a variety of subjects as well.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Keep your HSS tools. When you get the interest to explore sharpening (not as bad as you may think), they will have a role. I use both HSS and Carbides and frequently find one that was fine for a certain material just did not feel right for the next. It's great to have many tools in your tool box.

With HSS, I grind infrequently, but hone often. With small turnings this is fine, with bowls and larger articles more frequent grinding is useful.

Welcome to IAP!

Top Bottom