Thank you IAP...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Bessie

Passed Away Sep 13, 2016
In Memoriam
I guess that I lurked your forum way to long before actually mustering the courage to sign up. The information available on this site is amazing and its value is immense.

I am a disabled and retired person from Michigan. I live north of Detroit and am quite proud of Detroit and its comeback.

How did I get here?... I remembered a coworker some 30 years ago that made pens/pencils, and the sad feeling that back then I couldn't afford to purchase them. Now with health issues almost too long to list, I needed something to look forward to other than Doctor's appointments. Being literally trapped at home gives me a huge of amount of time to fill. With a little poking around the ol' internet, I was able to surmise that I had a good 90% of the tools necessary to turn said pens/pencils. With a modest investment in tools and supplies I was fortunate to begin this very cool past time.

I enjoy that with time and effort, even I can make something that is useful. Time--I have plenty. Effort--you wouldn't believe the effort it is for someone like myself to actually make it through all the steps to complete a project.

I have a decent mind and a solid education, but strokes and health issues make it difficult for me to do many of things I used to do. Activities for me have been severely diminished and I find the most enjoyment reading, (though my short term memory tends to suck. I use a printer to make copies of the pen kits instructions to follow, and use them like a checklist to try to be successful when turning and assembling the items that I make.) They are nowhere near the caliber of most of those on this site, but I keep trying and improving. I have had some wonderful successes and some real garage shaking failures.

In the position that I am in, I have to be frugal in my turning expenses, but I would love to extend some tremendous thanks to certain members here at I.A.P. that have generously helped me in my endeavors. The wonderful information shared, gifts and donations have/will make my hours of making pens so much more enjoyable.

Thank you all for your kindness and generosity. You members are the BEST!

I hope to remain a member here as long as I possibly can and also hope that at some point I will be able to extend the same helpfulness and generosity that was passed on to me.

Once again thank you from the bottom of my heart for all that you do/are/ and will grow to be! You have made a tremendous impact on my life.

Here's to unlimited future success for the International Association of Penturners!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

G'day mate,

I believe, any older (age non important...!) IAP member appreciates some recognition for what they contributed to this friendly place to be, learn and share from so, I thank you on their behalf.:)

There are a few of us on IAP, with all sorts of disabilities, some physical some not and, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to appreciate and understand the degree of difficulty certain things may required, compared with a perfectly healthy, young and athletic body, male or female however, there is a tremendous pride associated with adapting to the circumstances and flourish, the one way or the other.

The goals each one of us impose to ourselves, have little to do with having a disability, the degree of mobility, age or sex but much more with the self inner strength to accept reality and learn to deal with it, you seem to have climbed over that barrier and are now ready to share to the world who you are and what you do.

Despite the fact that, it does require a phenomenal amount of strength to take that step/jump, you are not alone nor you are ignored among this family group. Our knowledge and tribulations are all part of what makes this group of people that so much more special and rich and your association and participation, will be most appreciated...!

Lets see what you have been up to and remember and old saying that runs in the IAP members veins "No pictures, didn't happen...!":wink:

Best of luck
Cheers
George

SteveG

I want to welcome you, and extend my offer of help in ways that I can. You have already found IAP to be a GOOD PLACE, and I expect that will continue to be your experience. Glad to have you here, enjoying what we all enjoy. I sent a PM with a few more details. Aloha!

Old Bessie

Passed Away Sep 13, 2016
In Memoriam
Thank you Robutacion, Marnat3, and SteveG! The IAP feels like a great place to call "Home"!

Not really sure if my pens are worth a photo, but if I will try to be brave and post some along the way.

It has been a long time since I felt like I found a place where I could fit in. It feels like I found that place.

Thanks again. Thanks more than you could possibly know.
I wish you all the best!
~Old Bessie

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome, and thanks for that very kind post.

In your profile your name is shown as "Wll" Is it supposed to be "Will"? Just want to be able to address you by name!

Old Bessie

Passed Away Sep 13, 2016
In Memoriam
Wll is correct. Thanks to my Mom. It's funny the things we get used to when we have to. Or must.

Have a great day!

Old Bessie

Passed Away Sep 13, 2016
In Memoriam
Welcome from Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan. Sounds lke we don't live too far apart. I too am disabled. I am a full-time wheelchair user and turn (scroll too) sitting in my wheelchair. The beautful thing about IAP is that all of us are welcomed. Don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you!

keithy

Welcome to the group from North Carolina. I have nothing but respect for people who overcome adversity it any form. While new to pen turning I consider myself as having had a fortunate life. If you will PM me your address I would like to send you a few blanks that I have just laying around

SteveG

Wll,
You and I shared a brief conversation via PM, where you expressed a concern that you might, but did not want to become, a burden to anyone here at IAP as you pursue your pen making efforts. You have already had a taste of the hospitality to be found here, so please realize that there are many here, myself included, that will welcome the opportunity to extend assistance in a variety of ways. Your kind personality has shown through in your initial and following post. When you have questions, or perhaps needs...ask away, without misgivings. Give us the chance to help out!:)

We are glad to have you here as part of the group. At some point you will find it possible to help and encourage others, count on it. You seem to be making fine lemonade from those lemons that you received...way to go!

magpens

Thank you, Wll, for this thread. . You are an inspiration !! . Welcome to IAP from Canada !

I realize it may be difficult for you to post photos. . However, a brief description of what you are working on would be welcome ... even just the kit style and the type of blank .

Old Bessie

Passed Away Sep 13, 2016
In Memoriam
Thank you, Wll, for this thread. . You are an inspiration !! . Welcome to IAP from Canada !

I realize it may be difficult for you to post photos. . However, a brief description of what you are working on would be welcome ... even just the kit style and the type of blank .

Thanks, MAGPENS! I will try to post some photos when the youngsters visit. All of the pens I have turned, less a couple have been simple Slimlines, as they are affordable. I also like to make pen/pencil sets and see if I can get them to match. I have been able to get them close but never as close as I had hoped. But then again, I'm not a machine. I also tried a click pen but I have to unscrew it a tad to get it to retract. Made a mistake somewhere-I think in barrel trimming.

I recently also gave Corian a try. I made the long style from the IAP library information. I am pleased how they turned out. I sent the set as my PITH swap. I hope ALLMACLEAN likes them. This is my only picture so far. I have been laid up for a short while and been unable to get in the garage. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll be a little more mobile. Fingers crossed.

It is nice to be able to communicate via keyboard as my speech is not so clear. Most people look at me as some kind of moron at first glance. It warms my heart to read such nice things here at this kind forum.

My goal is to make some pens to contribute to the Service Pen Project here. I generally have given all of the pens I make, away as gifts. I have held back my top 5 that I think are unique, though they tend to change as I make more. I hope to post a picture of them.

I know, I type too much. Sorry. Thanks to one and all~!

Attachments

• IMG_1378.jpg
    IMG_1378.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 96

Magicbob

Welcome from Akron, OH
Your pictured pens look great.
The IAP is a great bunch of people, most all of them are willing to help, share, or advise.

stonepecker

Hey Wll.......Welcome from Minnesota.

Tell you what, You PM me your address and I will send you a box of blanks with the understanding that half of them go towards the Service Pen Project. The other half are for you to play with and use any way you want.

Enjoy the fun here.

Titanium15

Well, let me add my welcome as well.

I hail from Northern Wisconsin, but I hope to move South in the next couple years, because of the winter. I too face some challenges in life. Like you, I have some health issues, and it limits what I can do. I can tell you this with out hesitation at all, that this is without a doubt, the kindest, most generous group of people that I have had the blessing of running into.

I had posted that I had problems getting blanks, and several people sent me some blanks to get started with.

I posted some photos of the first couple things I did, not great, at all, but people here were far more interested in the pens than in the camera that I used.

When you have one of "those" days, and I know you do, drop me a line, call me, send me a PM. Whatever you have to do, don't let it get the best of you. I know it can be hard not to give in, but trust me, the people here are ready and willing to help in any way they can.

Welcome, glad you are here, and I am glad you posted. I to have times that I feel that I am a burden, because of all the questions I have, all the things I don't know, and how I have been treated in other situations.

Thanks again for posting and introducing yourself. And, as so many have said, welcome to this most awesome, fun, wonderful thing that is pen turning.

Glad your here, Stephen

robutacion

Thanks, MAGPENS! I will try to post some photos when the youngsters visit. All of the pens I have turned, less a couple have been simple Slimlines, as they are affordable. I also like to make pen/pencil sets and see if I can get them to match. I have been able to get them close but never as close as I had hoped. But then again, I'm not a machine. I also tried a click pen but I have to unscrew it a tad to get it to retract. Made a mistake somewhere-I think in barrel trimming.

I recently also gave Corian a try. I made the long style from the IAP library information. I am pleased how they turned out. I sent the set as my PITH swap. I hope ALLMACLEAN likes them. This is my only picture so far. I have been laid up for a short while and been unable to get in the garage. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll be a little more mobile. Fingers crossed.

It is nice to be able to communicate via keyboard as my speech is not so clear. Most people look at me as some kind of moron at first glance. It warms my heart to read such nice things here at this kind forum.

My goal is to make some pens to contribute to the Service Pen Project here. I generally have given all of the pens I make, away as gifts. I have held back my top 5 that I think are unique, though they tend to change as I make more. I hope to post a picture of them.

I know, I type too much. Sorry. Thanks to one and all~!

Hahahah...! so you think so..??? "you ain't seen nothin yet", even my short of posts is twice as long as most other posters and in a good day, an average post from me is the size of a small book so, no post from you so far, is even close to be too big...!

With that said, many of my "followers", PM me when I write a short post and ask me if I'm sick...!:biggrin:

You have mentioned something about the way some people make you feel when they listen you speak as result of your disability/condition well, let me tell you one thing, the end of the day, the "joke's" on them, why??? because they don't have any understanding of what is all about or have been educated to respect others, isn't you with the problem, but they...!

If you ever feel a need to experiment with some of my Aussie woods, let me know and I will send you some, free of charge. They are all from my "stables" and some have been "georgenized" as some of my friends call it and we here, like to "pay it forwards"

By the way, keep an eye for the games I run here, every few weeks called Mr. Anonymous games, the next one is #28, free blanks are offered as prizes so, make sure to participate...!

And to finalise this medium size post, if you want to read some stories about kindness about IAP members, look up for some threads about Mr. Anonymous...!:)

Cheers
George

Old Bessie

Passed Away Sep 13, 2016
In Memoriam
Oh my goodness. I've never felt so welcome! Thank you all so very much. I have to make this post really quick. I spent most of the day at different doctor's appointments. So far so good. Had my son drive me around all day. Also had him help set me up my tools and a adjustable stool so I could get back in the garage. Though it was a bit of a struggle I was able to produce 2 new pens. Not my best, nor my worst. My fear of attempting something new has subsided. I was able to use some of my "Losers Train" prize blanks. They probably deserved a better user. Thanks again! Gotta run to pharmacy. See you all here soon.

The proof:

Attachments

• IMG_1380.JPG
    IMG_1380.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1385.JPG
    IMG_1385.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 103
Top Bottom