Terquise inlayed Mesquite Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from phillywood

phillywood

I recently made this in March 2012 as a gift to my 82 year old mother. She was very proud as she didn't know that I can do this then she bragged about it to whoever could see it. It's made fromTexas native tree Mesquite. It's very sturdy wood and very forgiving in that if youmake a mistake you can patch it and continue. It tools easly and holds up very well.
sorry, I didn't get chance to measure it before I gave it to her, but form what I can recall it's about 7" in diameter and 6.5" tall. It naturally had some cracks in it that I found it to use tuquise to fill it with the help of CA glue and 15 min. epoxy.
thanks for looking and enjoy it. This must have been my 10th creation and along the way I had many catches and blow ups.

I am willing to trade a box of Mesquite size of a large flat rate box(12x12x6") wtih your local grown blank that are not grwon here in S. Texas. if any interest please PM me.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• Pictures from my Iphone 3-30-12 032.jpg
    Pictures from my Iphone 3-30-12 032.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 157
  • Pictures from my Iphone 3-30-12 034.jpg
    Pictures from my Iphone 3-30-12 034.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 209
  • Pictures from my Iphone 3-30-12 035.jpg
    Pictures from my Iphone 3-30-12 035.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Pictures from my Iphone 3-30-12 036.jpg
    Pictures from my Iphone 3-30-12 036.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Pictures from my Iphone 3-30-12 042.jpg
    Pictures from my Iphone 3-30-12 042.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Nice job, did you use very fine turquoise or small chunks? I've been tempted to get some and try this some day. I've been eying one of the diamond wheels for sanding the turquoise.

tim self

Nicely done Phillip. Nice finish as well.

Eric, I use Abranet or regular old sandpaper to sand the powder.

Last edited:

phillywood

Nice job, did you use very fine turquoise or small chunks? I've been tempted to get some and try this some day. I've been eying one of the diamond wheels for sanding the turquoise.
Eric, I used bits for the larger cracks and holes and ground ones for the narrower crevices. you try to find bits and pieces to fill the natural cracks as close as possible to the bowls surface. But, for grounding it I put the pieces in a mortar and pestle and ground it as fine as you can. then you put CA glue on the cracks first then use a little pen tube and make a itty bitty funnel so you can sprinkle the dust on the CA. then you put more CA on it and then immediately use the accelarator to dry it faster. I sanded it with 180 grit so you won't grind away too much from the wood around these crevices. I am going to try to utilize other stones based on the grain and the color of the wood to accent them. Oh, BTW, the finish is 6 or 7 coats of salad bowl finish that you buy from woodcraft store. Word of advise, make sure that you use 400 grit wet or dry sand paper in between the coats and every time take it inside the house and let it dry so it won't be tacky if you decide to give your bowl away for utilitarian purpose.

Hey Phil,
That's a fine looking bowl... the reason I got into turning was from a mesquite bowl I saw down in Fredericksburg... Love the mesquite... also like to use it for burning in my smoker for doing brisket... YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Where you are you're fairly close to Gilmer... there's a rock shop there, Gilmer Rock Shop... GILMER ROCK SHOP Home Page ... that has lots of rock/inlay materials... their website doesn't show it now, but they had a pretty good of inventory of various materials...

Oops.. just looked at the Google map to see exactly where Gilmer was... it's up in the northeast corner of Texas.. several hours drive from you...just north of Gladewater and Tyler... I was thinking it was down in the Austin/San Antonio area... sorry.

Top Bottom