Ten Inch Bowls From Expensive Woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Yellow Heart and Purple Heart and most other exotic woods sure are getting expensive to buy in recent years . In spite of it , those colors sell good so I just add an extra ten bucks to the price of the bowl to cover the difference in cost of wood .
This one will be priced at $99.00 instead of the regular $89.00 for the exact design of using segments like that but with lower priced woods .
The purple heart board was a deep purple and it always goes a lighter color when being sawn. I will place it where it will be in a sunny spot and within a month it will go to a much deeper purple than it is now .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

William,
Beautiful work on the bowl! The colors do make it special.
It should sell nicely!

On the finish, have you given consideration to using a satin laquer? I would think that would let the colors and design of your bowls stand out.
I have used satin laquer on some items, let it cure for several days and then buff with the Beall wheels. I will skip the white diamond on open grain porous woods.

W.Y.

William,
Beautiful work on the bowl! The colors do make it special.
It should sell nicely!

On the finish, have you given consideration to using a satin laquer? I would think that would let the colors and design of your bowls stand out.
I have used satin laquer on some items, let it cure for several days and then buff with the Beall wheels. I will skip the white diamond on open grain porous woods.

I appreciate any and all comments but in my particular area it is high gloss that sells . I have tried satin and semi gloss over the three and a half years I have been making RM bowls and with well over 350 made now and working toward 400 I now apply only gloss . On the rare occasion that someone wants a more subtle finish I can use 0000 steel wool lubricated with paste wax to cut the finish back and finish off with the Beal system and don't charge any extra . Easier to do that than to put a gloss finish on a satin one .

Here is the flat board I made which became a bowl within another hour . (not counting glue curing time)

Charlie_W

It is good that you have dialed in on what sells in your area.
I think you are the RingMaster Master! Great work on your segmenting and designs!

Top Bottom