tempered glass?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Is tempered glass heat resistant?

A deer kicked over my pizza oven - it had a 6" piece (roughly) of glass in the door. THe glass shattered into a million little pieces, which is what makes me think it was tempered...

Just wondering if that was tempered glass, or ceramic glass or some other beast. Any idea what to look for?

(Boy is glass expensive, by the way...having trouble finding a cheap source for heat resistant glass!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I can't help you with the glass. I see your from somewhere in the Great White North. I can give you a tip. Your supposed to shoot the deer before you put it in the oven. If you choose not to take this piece of advice please video and post the next time you try to put one in the oven. Sorry I couldn't resist.

1080Wayne

That sounds like tempered glass to me . It can start fires if broken when hot . Melted a bit of living room carpet that way by my fireplace that way . Doesn`t like to be kicked by a log falling off the grate either , so needs to be protected both inside and out .

teesquare

Yep - tempered glass breaks into those tiny square when it breaks.

My guess is that the most reasonable source for tempered glass - is a replacement from the manufacturer of the pizza oven. Otherwise...hold on to your wallet ...

DrD

I can't help you with the glass. I see your from somewhere in the Great White North. I can give you a tip. Your supposed to shoot the deer before you put it in the oven. If you choose not to take this piece of advice please video and post the next time you try to put one in the oven. Sorry I couldn't resist.
Skin that 'un pilgrim and I'll get you another

egnald

That sucks!

I suppose it could be "Tempered Glass" but a lot of pizza ovens usually work at temperatures higher than what typical Tempered Glass is rated for, somewhere around 500 degrees F. "Heat Proof or Heat Strengthened Glass" on the other hand is good up to 800+ degrees F.

How it broke is sort of a tell that it was Tempered Glass also. When Heat Strengthened glass breaks the pieces are usually relatively large and usually remain somewhat connected together in a glazing. Tempered glass on the other hand shatters into a mass of small, roughly cubical pieces that are not as likely to remain held together in the glazing.

Your best bet is to try to get a replacement from the manufacturer or a new oven. I suppose you could replace it with metal unless you really need to be able to see what is going on in there.

Good Luck - Dave

PS I took a quick look online and a 6 x 8 piece of 1/8 inch tempered glass with rough edges priced out at $45 - Ouch!

Penchant 4

Is tempered glass heat resistant?

A deer kicked over my pizza oven - it had a 6" piece (roughly) of glass in the door. THe glass shattered into a million little pieces, which is what makes me think it was tempered...

Just wondering if that was tempered glass, or ceramic glass or some other beast. Any idea what to look for?

(Boy is glass expensive, by the way...having trouble finding a cheap source for heat resistant glass!)
Borosilicate glass, commonly/commercially known as Pyrex, is heat resistant to much higher heat than a typical pizza oven can generate.

And, no, you will not find it to be inexpensive.

Good luck.

Top Bottom