Technology Rant

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Larryreitz

I know this is, or at least is supposed to be, an uplifting time of year, so please forgive me for the following rant. I am beginning to hate technology! Yesterday I deleted about 130 emails that appeared in my inbox in one day's time. You have to look carefully so you don't get rid of an important one. Then I found Dawn and Ed's weekly email had been sent to the spam folder by some higher tech guru who thought it to be irrelevant.

On the positive side I got an order for a large tryptic on canvas from a couple who had seen it hanging in my booth about 6 years ago. I didn't have it in stock but could print it again and frame it up. That was until my Photoshop program refused to print to my large printer. That took a couple of phone calls to India and a day to get fixed. Another program I needed and use on a regular basis took a crap, just when I need it to fill the order. Couldn't speak to an actual person about that problem, but they tell me they will get back to me via email when they can, while apologizing for the delay due to higher than normal volume. Makes me appreciate pen turning where everything is mechanical and substantially the same as it was 50 years ago.

Anyhow, I eventually got it finished and delivered it just after the new year. The couple who bought it were very patient and loved it so much they sent me a picture of it hanging above their fireplace. Their picture is attached below.

Attachments

• Matunuck tryptic.jpg
    Matunuck tryptic.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 181

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That is a beautiful 'tryptic.' I love seeing art like this! 👏 👏 .

And I also second your appreciation for penturning/woodturning. Due to family matters I am essentially out of my shop for the last 9 months, and for the forseeable future. But, my tools are there waiting for me and while I'll need to brush up on my skills, nothing will go obsolete or need an internet upgrade.

And technology... Yea, I'm being dragged along by Wifey while I kick and scream. 🤣

Well done Larry.

EricRN

That is a beautiful 'tryptic.' I love seeing art like this! 👏 👏 .

And I also second your appreciation for penturning/woodturning. Due to family matters I am essentially out of my shop for the last 9 months, and for the forseeable future. But, my tools are there waiting for me and while I'll need to brush up on my skills, nothing will go obsolete or need an internet upgrade.

And technology... Yea, I'm being dragged along by Wifey while I kick and scream. 🤣

Well done Larry.
Agreed. Cool photo. It's interesting how many of us are also into creating things using different media, like photography.

I too enjoy photography. Some of my favorites are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/113116014@N05/albums/with/72157712118176537.

TDahl

I have to say there is a considerable amount of frustration dealing with technology. Maybe that is why we have all gravitated to this craft. While the world is in a hurry to automate everything, there is something theraputic about working with your hands, practicing patience, and creating something beautiful.

Top Bottom