Teachers pen done in (avonites) glass series

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from corian king

corian king

Teachers pen
Hello all I have a customer that orders these and always wants them done in this material.
The material is (Avonites) glass series and is very difficult
to work with.You have to work with it very slowly from start to finish.
The pic really don't do it justice it is a translucent material and really sparkels when the light hits it.
The black end is called (black ice)
The red is called (new cauldren)
The center is called (cat eye)
I did'nt know if any one here has ever worked with this material so i thought I would get your feedback.
All comments wlcome!
Thanks!

Attachments

• glass teachers pen 1.jpg
    glass teachers pen 1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 764
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

corian king

Hello Todd. This material comes 1/2in thick like most of the solidsurface material.So if you want to do a larger pen you have to glue them together.We stock and sell 15 of their colors at 1.00 apiece.The blanks are 1/2 x 1/2 x 5 1/4
JIM

corian king

I do not have a pic of all the colors together.You can go to avonite colors on the net and look at the colors.
I use the rotondo to turn the avonite.It's not so much that the material is hard its really not But they call it GLASS for a reason!!

rjwolfe3

I have some but I have been afraid to turn it so far. And that stuff is just like glass, I dropped a blank and it shattered. Your pen looks gorgeous!

gmcnut

Jim, that's a very nice looking pen. I wish they made these kits in more durable platings.

corian king

Hello and thanks to all.I have tried to answer everyone but if I missed you I'm sorry if you really want some questions answered Please just PM me I will be glad to answer all questions.Thanks!
JIM

Oldwagon

Very nice pen.I have heard of this material.I might have some.I have around 1000 blanks under my work bench.I can't remember them all.I will look this up.My wife just started work at the local High School.Thanks for showing.

Tanner

That pen looks awesome! My mother in law is a teacher and I was thinking of making her one of these. How long is it and does it look long in your hand?

corian king

Hello Tim! The pen is about 6in long so thats only around 3/4in longer than a standard slimline so you really don't notice the little bit of difference. We do a few shows at the high schools in the area and we always sell these at those shows.
JIM

corian king

Thanks Todd I appreciate the kind words. Your wife would have no trouble selling these at the school if she took them in for you.
JIM

louie68

Very nice pen , I turn a pen using Meganite which i think is simliar, i try to show picture but for some reason i can't up load pen picture. It looks like granite

Attachments

• meganite pen 002.jpg
    meganite pen 002.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 153
Last edited by a moderator:

corian king

Thanks Louie! I appreciate the kind words.Thats also a nice looking pen you have done.From the pic and what I can see it looks alot like corians (sahara) but really hard to tell..Have a good one!
JIM

RAdams

Banned
Nice pen! Cool material... but what i want to know is.......

Where did you get the pen stand?? I like it!

Top Bottom