Tapering Facets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from watch_art

watch_art

This one takes a lot of time to get finished up nicely. :)
Made from SEM yellow marbled ebonite.

Quapaw-yellow-marble-15.jpg

Quapaw-yellow-marble-19.jpg

Quapaw-yellow-marble-22.jpg

Quapaw-yellow-marble-25.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Awesome Pen Shawn.
Magnificent Blank , Perfect Profile and Proportions.
Love the Octagonal Facets, and the Optical Interaction, with the Coloured Waves Throughout the Blank, they start to play tricks with your Eye's.
Superb Machining, and Finish.
Beautiful Section.
Great Craftsmanship,
Brian.

Curly

Shawn I can't remember if you have the same lathe as I do and would use this taper attachment. Or if you have the newer Gunsmithing lathe that takes this taper attachment. What it does is let you, by disengaging the cross slide and setting the taper you want, cut a taper as the carriage moves from side to side. If you want to make a facet you would hold a router, Dremel etc., on the tool post (check out some of skiprat's posts) and run it along the pen in the lathe. You would need to set up an index plate or use one of the gears at the outboard end of the headstock. Index and make a cutter pass, index and repeat until you're done. Then all you have left is the polishing. :roll eyes:

I'll add that you can do the same without the taper attachment by offsetting the tailstock, can be fun resetting it, or a Skiprat does, use a boring head to do the offseting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom