Tapered Hexagon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

This is a Gold Rockler Spirit pen. The blanks are tapered hexagons in Marble Wood. The kit has been modified in several ways. There are no tubes used in it's making. End caps have been reversed in size to make it more streamlined and the lower section made longer and wider at the base. There was also no lathe used to make the blanks only the 4 pieces shown in the photo plus a drill press, disk, and belt sander. Finish is sanded to 1200 grit after apply 8 coats of thick CA and than polishing with One-Step Plastic Polish. The 4 pieces shown are a 3/8" nut and bolt, plus 2 hexagon templates made from a cutting board and drilled and sanded to the size I wanted. I left the corners proud so it looked like it was sitting on a gold base. This will be my new desk pen of the month. Praise me if you can, blast me if you must !! Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0038 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0038 (800x600).jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCF0039 (669x800).jpg
    DSCF0039 (669x800).jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 216
  • DSCF0040 (800x304).jpg
    DSCF0040 (800x304).jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCF0045 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0045 (800x600).jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 197
  • DSCF0046 (800x420).jpg
    DSCF0046 (800x420).jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Jim, Now, That is thinking outside the circle!
Nice execution on your idea and you didn't even use a lathe!
I guess that piece of marble wood put a Hex on you! :eek::biggrin:

Dale Lynch

Not a big fan of the hex shape pressed against the round trim ring and end caps.Get rid of the round and you would have something truly outstanding.

Very cool! Agree that it is a super creative pen. Kind of like a morphed Panache. But better. However, also agree that that the circular ends could be changed to hex shape.

Agree #3 is that it most certainly is a desk pen. Not a bad thing, just not suitable for pocket or purse. I can see it garnering a lot of comments and discussion just by being there.

plantman

Not a big fan of the hex shape pressed against the round trim ring and end caps.Get rid of the round and you would have something truly outstanding.

Dale; I wanted to try one this way with the larger base and the smaller round cap so it looked more like a display stand since it was going to be a desk pen from the start. After looking at it a couple times, I agree with you that the others should have been rounded over to meet the round caps or brass hexagon caps made. I will try another with custom caps. This will now move the pen into the kitless catagory, as I won't be using any of the parts from a kit. Thanks for the C/C. Jim S

Dale Lynch

I think a double closed end would look terriffic,if that's what your talking about.Good luck with it,I hope you show it off soon.

plantman

I think a double closed end would look terriffic,if that's what your talking about.Good luck with it,I hope you show it off soon.

Let me see if I have this correct. You would like to see a double closed end, tapered, hexagon, in a kitless pen, without useing a lathe. This may take me a few days or so, but I will see what I can come up with Dale. What I was thinking about, was making hexagon end caps and maybe center bands out of brass or some other metal, but a double closed ended pen sounds like a better chalenge !! Jim S

Bob Wemm

Let me see if I have this correct. You would like to see a double closed end, tapered, hexagon, in a kitless pen, without useing a lathe. This may take me a few days or so, but I will see what I can come up with Dale. What I was thinking about, was making hexagon end caps and maybe center bands out of brass or some other metal, but a double closed ended pen sounds like a better chalenge !! Jim S

Geez Jim,
You really enjoy a challenge.
Best of luck, although I know you will succeed.

Bob.

Jim how would you work the brass without a metal lathe, it would take a decade joust to get it smooth and polished. You are a better man than I.

Good luck, I think the one you did is very nice. it would be more eye appealing if you turned the ends round to meet the trim pieces.

Hexagon ends would special you may want to save it for a challenge category named pens without a lathe.

plantman

Jim how would you work the brass without a metal lathe, it would take a decade joust to get it smooth and polished. You are a better man than I.

Good luck, I think the one you did is very nice. it would be more eye appealing if you turned the ends round to meet the trim pieces.

Hexagon ends would special you may want to save it for a challenge category named pens without a lathe.

Jim; In answer to your question about working brass. First off would be that you can not turn a polygon on a lathe. It would take an indexing milling machine to achieve flat sides. I cut the 1/8-1/4" brass on either a band saw or my scroll saw with a metal cutting blade installed. I cut to rough shape and finish off with a disk or belt sander. In the case of the 1/4" brass hand plane I built and added photos of, I hand filed the dovetails after cutting to rough size. Smooth and polished is just a matter of using finer and finer grades of emery cloth to achive the amount of shine you want. You can see in the first photo how deep the shine is as it reflects the ruler on the side of the plane. The plane is infilled with English Walnut, and the monogram inlaid in Holly. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCN0754 (640x396).jpg
    DSCN0754 (640x396).jpg
    168 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCN0755 (609x640).jpg
    DSCN0755 (609x640).jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Top Bottom