Tapco Group Buy Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dgeladin

Will there be another group buy this year? If so, do we know when that might be..
I missed last year and don't want to miss another one.

Thanks in advance!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Monty wrote the guidelines regarding the process for this.

RobS

I ran the last one, it comes down to how many people are up to ordering.
If some one savy enough to run a survey can evaluate who is willing to order, that would help.

Here is a screen shot of what was ordered,

1680113242198.png

Jarod888

Wow, didn't know there was an M16. Anyways, I ran one during covid and it was less than stellar. I think I barely got to the 12 level for m13. That being said, there has been some issues with getting the right thread depth, I think specifically for the nib taps. It would be really nice if we could have a consensus on the appropriate size.

I referring to the "d" value for the taps, etc.

InkyMike

I'd probably be interested as well.

Quick question though - why are the same due types listed more than once in the example - is there more info to the left that differentiates the line items?

hooked

I'd probably be interested as well.

Quick question though - why are the same due types listed more than once in the example - is there more info to the left that differentiates the line items?
There are taper, plug, and bottoming taps for each size. The plug (or intermediate) works alone for most materials in pen making. Some people use the bottoming tap after if using a transparent material to get cleaner looking threads internally. I am not really sure what the taper tap is used for.

The bottom line additional charge for each tap is to get them titanium coated.

This explains the tap differences:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
There are taper, plug, and bottoming taps for each size. The plug (or intermediate) works alone for most materials in pen making. Some people use the bottoming tap after if using a transparent material to get cleaner looking threads internally. I am not really sure what the taper tap is used for

IIRC, the taper tap is used to start your tap threading in metal. It is used to keep the threads straight and perpendicular to the metal. You can then come back with the plug or bottoming tap to add threads to the bottom of the hole does not go completely through the material.

RobS

Ok since everyone keeps asking, this is what was run last spring of 2022 group buy.
Also here is the USA description of the taps (see photo), unfortunately the EU uses slightly different descriptions/names.
Tapper, really only needed for metal
Plug, general use
Bottom used primarily in transparent blanks, if you have a proper tap holder like the one @rherrell makes (https://www.penturners.org/threads/new-er32-sliding-tap-holder.174823/) you can tap all plastic with this, if not you may (may not must) want to use a plug first

I will post later the prober D value for the nib taps.
1681226592224.png

1681226574880.png

Top Bottom