Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Tapatalk has a feature where they will build a branded app for your site. I decided to give this a try. It doesn't appear to have all the features of the native Tapatalk app, but I am not an experienced Tapatalk user, so I am not sure. Can a few Tapatalk users give this a try and let me know if it's usable?

The reason I decided to try this is that on Jan 1, Apple is requiring that all apps that communicate with servers use HTTPS. It's quite an effort to switch us to SSL, so I am trying to find a way to maintain Tapatalk access for us. If the app is in the store before the end of the year, it'll be grandfathered. Android does not have this same deadline, so the native Tapatalk app will still work for us.

EDIT: I did not choose the screenshots and I've asked to have them changed to my choice.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
If you select the compose icon at the top of the page, it pops up a selection box with an option to send

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
If you select the compose icon at the top of the page, it pops up a selection box with an option to send

That's good. But is there a way to see messages sent to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

In the native version, when you tap on the 3-line Menu icon, there is a section containing the options: InBox, Notifications, Who's OnLine and Moderation. Unfortunately, this set of options seems to be missing from the branded version. I don't see any other way of getting to our InBox in the branded version, so I hope Jeff will be able to get them to fix this.

I was actually mistaken about the way to post PMs in the native version. You post PMs in the same way with both the native & branded versions. The Chat feature in the native version is simply a general discussion forum - it's not in the branded version, but I don't really see a need for it since we have a broader Casual Conversation forum.

The native version also has a Customize Tabs option from the 3-line Menu that lets you customize the top menu bar. It would be nice if we could get that in the branded version as well.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
One major thing missing in the branded version, IMO, is a menu tab for New Posts.

It's in the default menu tab in the native version and can be enabled/disabled via the Customize Tabs option. However, it's not in the default menu tab of the branded version & can't be activated since there is no Customize Tabs feature. I hope this can be fixed.

Argo13

That's good. But is there a way to see messages sent to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I had someone send me a message while I was using the app. I was able to see it was sent as a push notification. I was also able to reply to the message.

I did verify the push notification options are under settings. There is an option to see messages sent to you.

I can not find away to see your inbox, etc. after the push notification is addresses.

Also found add free is 0.99/ month (first month free) or 4.99/ year or 14.99 (lifetime) just click on the x displayed on an add.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

edstreet

Not only that but it's also a good idea to setup SSL for the entire forum and site as well. The push is to encrypt everything, every session, every page and isolate as much as possible. Much greater security standards that way and the risk is greatly reduced overall.

This is what a proper secured site looks like.

attachment.php

This is what an insecure prone to hacking, attacks and etc site looks like.
attachment.php

Attachments

• clay pen blanks.jpg
    clay pen blanks.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 326
  • woodcraft.jpg
    woodcraft.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
What would the benefit be to use this over Tapatalk? With Tapatalk, I can easily access all my other forums in one app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it has to do with Apple's stated intent to require apps like Tapatalk to utilize SSL (https rather than http) as of Jan 1. Existing apps will still be able to use http but any new or updated apps will have to use https.

This primarily affects apps that download & process data for presentation as opposed to apps that simply download & present web pages. So, as I understand it, simple browsers are not affected & will still be able to present http pages. I believe the branded Tapatalk will be able to handle http pages whereas the native Tapatalk app might not be able to once this policy goes into effect. Jeff can correct me if I'm not correct on this.

This SSL policy only affects iOS apps, not Android or other platforms. Although with heightened concerns about cyber security, it may only be a matter of time before similar policies are implemented for other platforms as well.

It may be necessary or desirable to implement SSL for the entire IAP site at some point, but it is not a trivial or inexpensive process.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
It's very trivial and free to implement site wide.

As for android they will still be highly vulnerable as they are now.

That's not true in all cases, and not in ours. I could list all the reasons why going to SSL is not trivial for us, but I don't want to defend each one. Obviously, if it were trivial, I'd do it, as I have not reason why I would not want to. It'll get done, I'm just trying to keep Tapatalk alive on IOS until it does.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I want to clarify that we WILL be switching to SSL (i.e. HTTPS - encrypted connections between you and the forum) to comply with emerging internet standards. My goal with the stand-alone Tapatalk app is to keep that option alive until it gets done.

This week, the forum will be off-line for several hours, probably Wednesday night (I'll give advance warning), while I recompile PHP to provide the support Apache (our web server) needs to run SSL. That's the first step in moving to SSL.

tjseagrove

Jeff,

I assume there will be expenses for the move to SSL. I would throw some in the tip jar if needed to make it happen. I am sure there a number of folk here that would put a small amount toward it that would add up to enough to cover the cost.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff,

I assume there will be expenses for the move to SSL. I would throw some in the tip jar if needed to make it happen. I am sure there a number of folk here that would put a small amount toward it that would add up to enough to cover the cost.

The actual dollar cost is low. We have sufficient resources to cover that. The real cost is labor, and I work cheap :biggrin:

tjseagrove

Jeff,

The actual dollar cost is low. We have sufficient resources to cover that. The real cost is labor, and I work cheap :biggrin:

That is why I added my 2 cents.... :biggrin:

Top Bottom