Tap and Die - how to identify

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marcvolovic

Hello,

How does one identify what tap and die a certain "thing" uses. I.e. if I want to turn a section for one of the Chinese nib units (e.g. a PenBBS unit or Moonman nib unit) - how can I know which tap is required for it?

Many thanks

M

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

You will need to measure the threads that you are wanting to duplicate ( or mate to ).

Measure the outside diameter ( O.D. ) of male threads with a vernier caliper, and measure the thread pitch with a thread gauge ( which is a collection of metal pieces each having a different serrated or notched pattern that you hold up to your threaded piece and, by trial and error, determine the right match for your threaded piece). . This process will tell you the die specifications. . I think you will get the idea fairly quickly if you go to a tool store and handle some tools, taps, and dies, and talk to someone there.

For female threads, the process is more tricky because you will be measuring (with the caliper) an inside diameter ( I.D. ), and to that measurement you will have to add twice the thread depth, ( after you have determined the thread pitch in the aforementioned manner), in order to get the required tap diameter.

That's the general gist of it, and hopefully someone else will elaborate with more precisely expressed techniques.

Ask at a tool store to see a thread gauge and you will soon get the idea of how to use it.

Last edited:

lorbay

"I think you will get the idea fairly quickly if you go to a tool store and handle some tools, taps, and dies, and talk to someone there"
Good luck with that these days at most of the tool stores we have here.
I quote "hello does anyone work here"
Lin

magpens

"I think you will get the idea fairly quickly if you go to a tool store and handle some tools, taps, and dies, and talk to someone there"
Good luck with that these days at most of the tool stores we have here.
I quote "hello does anyone work here"
Lin

@lorbay

Haha ! ! . . . that's a good point, Lin !

It's a bit like your "If you come to a fork in the road Take It." . . . . . not many forks but lotsa dead ends !

I always get a smile and often a good belly-laugh when I read your signature !

marcvolovic

My recent experience in a local "high-quality" tool store - I asked about a wood lathe. Quoth the salesman: "we have these only on display and i know nothing about them, there may be more kinds. they are used for grinding metal and wood".

Top Bottom