Tanzo Unknown Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from qquake

qquake

My second Berea Tanzo pen, this one in chrome. The wood is unknown. It looks like a cross between zebrawood and bocote. It has coarse grain like oak, but it's definitely not oak. I don't know what it is. I like this pen much more than my first Tanzo with black palm. It has a double twist mechanism, illustrated by the last two photos. The finish is Pens Plus.

Attachments

• 077.jpg
    077.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 078.jpg
    078.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 127
  • 079.jpg
    079.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 080.jpg
    080.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 081.jpg
    081.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 082.jpg
    082.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 113
  • 083.jpg
    083.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 084.jpg
    084.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 085.jpg
    085.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 086.jpg
    086.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 087.jpg
    087.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 088.jpg
    088.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 089.jpg
    089.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 090.jpg
    090.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 091.jpg
    091.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 117
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Looks like Zebrawood to me. Like any paraticular tree, the specific location and climate will effect minor variations and changes in the wood grain and color.

But as much wood as you deal with, you will probably know that. Does the grain look and feel different from the zebra wood that you have used before? I'm curious, what is it that makes you wonder about it?

Excellent pen, finish and photos!

qquake

Looks like Zebrawood to me. Like any paraticular tree, the specific location and climate will effect minor variations and changes in the wood grain and color.

But as much wood as you deal with, you will probably know that. Does the grain look and feel different from the zebra wood that you have used before? I'm curious, what is it that makes you wonder about it?

Excellent pen, finish and photos!
The reason I'm questioning it being zebrawood, is that I don't remember buying any. Doesn't mean I didn't, though.

sorcerertd

That pen does look pretty nice. I had not seen that kit yet. Looks like zebra to me, too. To me, zebra wood is kinda stinky when turning, but not really noticeable once finished. If it smelled bad, that might be a determining factor. I hear it's especially bad green.

magpens

Nice work, Jim .... as always.

Just one thing about the pen kit .... I note that it is a " double twist ".

Can anyone tell me what the " appeal " of a double twist pen is ??

The reason I ask is that it holds no appeal for me. . For me, when I operate a double twist, the refill is always at risk of being not fully retracted.
And consequently, I never feel confident that it will not mark my shirt pocket with ink .... and I hate that possibility.

Any comments ?

leehljp

Member Liaison
Can anyone tell me what the " appeal " of a double twist pen is ??
I "think" it may be a lefty-righty thing. With LOML being a lefty (handed), she often complains of the world made for right handed people. Personally, I think it gives the option of "either way twist" to open - so as to having a minor selling point to the technically challenged! I have such family members who don't know what clockwise and counter clockwise is as it relates to objects moving, or left handed threads or right handed threads - and the concept behind them! šŸ˜³ šŸ˜‰

qquake

That pen does look pretty nice. I had not seen that kit yet. Looks like zebra to me, too. To me, zebra wood is kinda stinky when turning, but not really noticeable once finished. If it smelled bad, that might be a determining factor. I hear it's especially bad green.
It's definitely not green, but it did have a slightly unpleasant odor when drilling it, but not when turning or sanding. But then the most heat is generated during drilling, at least for me. The odor is difficult to describe, but it's more bitter than sweet.

I don't know why I didn't do this before, but here it is with a known zebrawood blank. I'm going to say it's a match. I have no idea where I got the big piece of zebrawood, though.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 89
Top Bottom