Tamamushi by Manu Propria

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from manupropria

manupropria

Last week I have made some cuff link parts for a local jeweler.
The plates will be framed with white gold.
The plates are decorated with "Tamamushi", fragments of the wings of the Jewel Beetle (Tamamushi). Tamamushi is a rare technique used in Japanese Urushi lacquer art. The little squares are cut and glued on the base with urushi lacquer. Some years ago I have used Tamamushi for making watch dials

For those interested I have added a link to a video about Tamamushi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=DnyNG443GlI

Best regards,

Martin

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 315
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 334
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 324
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 277
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 224
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 259
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 298
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 349
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Martin, that is very cool! Thanks for sharing this art! Unique!

Are you thinking of reducing the size of the squares or maybe making rectangles\strips and putting them on a pen blank? The Zen from Craft Supplies might be a nice starting place!

manupropria

I am making tests for application to a pen. The problem is, that the wings are flat on the outer side but the inner side is very bulpy and the wings canot be ground flat. Different to mother of pearl for example.

Sandsini

I see that the wings are available, but I'm having trouble figuring how to work them. Do you steam the wings before you cut them? Do you cut them longitudinally with the hobby knife, then cut the strips into squares?

manupropria

The wings contain oil. They have to be boiled for several hours in hot water. I cut them length with a scissors and then the sqares with a paper knife

Sandsini

The wings contain oil. They have to be boiled for several hours in hot water. I cut them length with a scissors and then the sqares with a paper knife

Thank you for sharing the information Martin. I think I might try casting some blanks with the wings.

What you are doing with them, and, of course, your amazing pens and finishes I find very inspiring.

Cheers,

Top Bottom