Talk about Inflation - this is Ridiculous

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Hi All,

Talk about Inflation -- It's going to cost my youngest son $4000 to replace $40 worth of gasoline!
Some evil criminal drilled a 1/2-inch hole in my son's gasoline tank last night just to steal a few gallons of gas.
They couldn't have gotten much as most of it just drained out on the parking lot.
Between replacing the tank and rental until it is repaired is going to approach $4k.
I suppose it could have been worse though, they could have sawed off his catalytic converter too.

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Wow, that's terrible. I remember the 70's when we put locks on our gas caps. That wouldn't have helped your son however.
Since then the manufacturers have added an anti-siphon screen and a "rollover valve" in new cars along with locking gas caps and locking fuel doors. They are all good steps for mitigation, but the criminals will always find a way.

Sly Dog

Good Lord - didn't know this was a thing, but I guess it's been going on for awhile. From March:

You'd think the fear of a spark would enter the equation, but then criminals aren't the smartest bunch.
Hoping for quick repair and maybe an arrest.

its_virgil

Will JB Weld fix a hole in a gas tank?

d9GcS3o6f5Y82LFufJUuhaDAX8dPDJCuDWgvaN3PVQ2vifNA&s.jpg

Because the epoxy is clay-like consistency, fuel (or other liquids) can't seep through it or around it. Once cured, the epoxy can withstand 300-degrees and 900 psi of pressure, so it will be perfect for your leaky gas tank.Sep 4, 2017

egnald

View attachment 333943
Because the epoxy is clay-like consistency, fuel (or other liquids) can't seep through it or around it. Once cured, the epoxy can withstand 300-degrees and 900 psi of pressure, so it will be perfect for your leaky gas tank.Sep 4, 2017
We talked about that or by using bolts/washers and some gasoline safe gasket material (probably silicone), but the tech was concerned about the sending unit because the hole was right on the spot where it sits. JB is resistant to water, gasoline, and I'm sure other solvents as well. Hopefully there won't be a next time to try it out on. - Dave

Humongous

That's just awful! It amazes me what the criminal element will come up with. If that brain power was applied to helpful innovation we would be so much better off.

tgsponge1

How low can you go. You said they got just a few dollars worth of gas, but I can't imagine the huge pain in the a** they caused your son.

Too bad it didn't ignite from the drilling, maybe your son would have gotten a new car and some crook would have gotten his just reward.

Kenny Durrant

Well Timbo I'm glad you said it. I was thinking the same thing. Of coarse there are other factors as what's around the vehicle that might catch fire but my first thought was that there'd be one thief your neighbors wouldn't have to worry about.

WriteON

View attachment 333943
Very temporary. Get used that if the oil pan got punctured off-roading. Doubt it would pass inspection unless you live in Fl.

Ray-CA

If he has comprehensive coverage with his insurance it should cover this at little to no deductible (depending on his policy.). Our vehicle got damaged by a thief who broke into it in a parking lot and we were covered.

Woodchipper

Insurance should cover a big chunk of it. $4K seems a bit high to replace a gas tank but, these days, auto designers aren't the best at efficient ways to repair a car. Had an old Plymouth van that needed a water pump. Since it was a Mazda engine, the shop had to tear apart the front end and a bunch of other things. Does his policy cover a rental car? Wouldn't be without it.
Trust everything will get sorted out and back on the road.

egnald

Hi all - no comprehensive, it's a 2005 Toyota. Half of the cost is for a rental for two weeks (he needs it to drive between several grocery stores every day as part of his work). AAA was also a no-go for any kind of rental assistance.

At least he has a stable job and has enough cash to cover the cost. On the rare chance they catch the culprit, I will be helping him take the perpetrator to small claims court. I know, wishful thinking.

Dave

MRDucks2

Hi all - no comprehensive, it's a 2005 Toyota. Half of the cost is for a rental for two weeks (he needs it to drive between several grocery stores every day as part of his work). AAA was also a no-go for any kind of rental assistance.

At least he has a stable job and has enough cash to cover the cost. On the rare chance they catch the culprit, I will be helping him take the perpetrator to small claims court. I know, wishful thinking.

Dave
Holy cow! I can rent a half ton pick-up for $1500 month in the Midwest. Unless he is under the age of what, 23 or 26 then they mail you.

Ray-CA

Dave
Do you have a "Pick-n-Pull" type yard near-by? Go drop a tank from a similar truck and replace the damaged one. Or, here are some new ones for around $450.

bsshog40

It's sad that there are soo many people that would rather steal from hardworking people without a care in the world. What got me the other night is the news was talking about catalytic converter thefts. And then they had a guy on there showing how easy it was to cut them off and how much money they can get for them. Might as well have been a training video 101 for more theives!!! Ughhhh

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Local news showed a guy here in Houston stop, get out of his vehicle, cut off the catalytic converter and get back into his vehicle in 20 seconds.

Top Bottom