take a look at my Dodecahedron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

DODECAHEDRON: Any 12 sided polygon. Real dodecahedron; 12 sided polygon with each face being a regular 5 sided pentagon. This is an ornament I just finished. It has over 1270 crystals in four colors on the thread covered form. Just goes to show you that some of us have to much time on our hands !!! Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0123 (800x783).jpg
    DSCF0123 (800x783).jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 278
  • DSCF0124 (800x690).jpg
    DSCF0124 (800x690).jpg
    436 KB · Views: 319
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PKal

Sorry to say..

...its beautiful work but it isn't a dodecahedrom. A dodecahedron is a twenty sided polygon.

Rich L

Yes, it is a dodecahedron (do- two, deca - ten, two plus ten, not two times ten). An icosahedron has the 20 sides. Google it. A dodecagon would be a 12 sided polygon. An icosagon would be a 20-sided polygon "-hedron" refers to the solid as in polyhedron.

BTW, it's beautiful!

Rich

Last edited:

plantman

...its beautiful work but it isn't a dodecahedrom. A dodecahedron is a twenty sided polygon.

I didn't want to go into the complete explanation of a dodecahedron, because if you aren't into math, it's boaring and useless to the average person. But here is the full explanation. In geometry, a dodecahedron ( from the Greek language means "twelve" + eopa hedra "base, "seat" or "face") is any polyedron with twelve flat faces, but usualy a regular dodecahedron is ment, which is one of the five Platonic solids. It is composed of twelve regular pentagonal faces, with three meeting at each vertex, and is represented by the Schlafli symbol {5,3}. It has 20 vertices, 30 edges, and 160 diagonals. Its dual polyhedron is the icosahedron, with a Schlafli symbol {3,5}.
The pyritohedron is a irregular pentagonal dodecahedron, having the same topology as the regular one but pyritohedral symmetry. The rhombic dodecahedron has octahedral symmetry. There are a large number of other dodecahedra, but if I haven't made you move on to the next thread or put you to sleep by now, there is no reason to go on with a Geometry lesson. Jim S

Top Bottom