Tailstock maintenance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

No, the problems with the first lathe began with the hand wheel and lead screw becoming unscrewed instead of boring a hole in a piece of soft padauk wood. I took the tailstock apart as a way for me to understand the part and how it was supposed to work. This was the very first issue I had with the lathe after using it fur about 4 months. Before that point, no issues.
Could you take a photo pointed at the back of the tailstock, with the handwheel removed? Should help show what the problem might be, and if there is a way you could fix it yourself.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lgdowell

Could you take a photo pointed at the back of the tailstock, with the handwheel removed? Should help show what the problem might be, and if there is a way you could fix it yourself.
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but the video I attached earlier in the thread shows how the lead screw and quill travel laterally with nothing keeping the lead screw from coming out the back of the tailstock.

Attachments

• 19FB0EC8-B145-47CD-AD2B-76201FAA0956.jpeg
    19FB0EC8-B145-47CD-AD2B-76201FAA0956.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 025265C3-55F3-47D9-A2E2-DE9AD39185AC.jpeg
    025265C3-55F3-47D9-A2E2-DE9AD39185AC.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 6622C2C9-BD70-4969-8C71-785A12E3E8AC.jpeg
    6622C2C9-BD70-4969-8C71-785A12E3E8AC.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 92
  • FCF50C55-F67B-437A-8F5E-D262B0FD8A4D.MOV
    11.5 MB

jrista

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but the video I attached earlier in the thread shows how the lead screw and quill travel laterally with nothing keeping the lead screw from coming out the back of the tailstock.
That is perfect!

I agree, I think Louie's recommendation to slip a washer on there should solve your problem. It does not look like the casing was cracked or anything like that...simply that the lip of the shaft itself is just not large enough to keep the screw on the right side of the tailstock without a washer.

Lgdowell

Thank you for all of your help. I have submitted a ticket to Teknatool to see if they have a solution but will try and get a washer or find another solution to keep the leadscrew inside the tailstock casing.

Thank you everyone! You have been a big help!

Linda

monophoto

Thank you for all of your help. I have submitted a ticket to Teknatool to see if they have a solution but will try and get a washer or find another solution to keep the leadscrew inside the tailstock casing.

Thank you everyone! You have been a big help!

Linda
Linda

Be sure to report back on what they tell you.

The photos you posted don't show any signs of breakage, but that doesn't rule out the possibility that the hole in the end of the tailstock housing is becoming enlarged over time as a result of the collar rubbing against it. To me, that would be a design/manufacturing flaw that potential future buyers of this lathe need to know about.

penicillin

I would caution anyone that uses a lubricant (or any material like mold debonders) that contains silicone.
Underscoring Dave's point - the automotive industry has some real horror stories about entire fleets of new vehicles that had to be destroyed because a silicone leak in the factory contaminated the sheet metal enough to inhibit paint adhesion.
I want to underscore Dave's points about silicone too, and add one more thing:

What was not mentioned was how silicone can affect your woodworking and woodturning. Silicone can be a serious problem in a woodshop. We are very careful to avoid any silicone in our shop at home. We are especially careful about avoiding furniture polishes and lubricants from the house getting into the shop.

Silicone contamination on your woodworking and woodturning projects can ruin finishes. A common finishing problem is known as "fisheye." Once silicone gets into your woodshop, it can be very difficult to eliminate. The tiniest amounts of silicone can wreak havoc.

Lgdowell

The best solution Teknatool offered was to send me a new tailstock that has been completely inspected and had me send the defective one back to them. I;ve had the new tailstock now for 2 weeks and all seems well. Have not heard anything from them about the defective one.

Top Bottom