Tail Sock MT Ejection Tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darrin

I made something similar out of Teflon but this is great info for anyone that's not a machinist because they can use anything assuming they have a bandsaw. Plywood even works.
Great info Hank.

jjjaworski

I have used a piece of wood in the past for this problem in the past.
Making something like this is simple and handy to always have around.
Thanks for posting the video.

duncsuss

I have a Nova 1624 lathe, which doesn't have an auto-eject on the tailstock, so I was really interested in this idea.

Sadly, it would only work for a few of tail-stock accessories I have, but not most of them.

Anything which has a smaller diameter than the quill won't work, because it will have nothing to catch against. My Morse Taper drill chucks are all large enough that it would push against them - but it's more likely to knock the chuck head off at the JT33 joint as it is to pull the MT2 mandrel out of the tailstock.

The knock-out bar always works.

egnald

That is a pretty cool method/tool. I bought a 12-inch long Philips head screwdriver and simply cut the tip off to use as a knock out bar. It has a nice handle and works great to poke out any Morse tapers that are not long enough to auto-eject. Works good to poke out the headstock Morse tapers too. - Dave

Curly

I have a Nova 1624 lathe, which doesn't have an auto-eject on the tailstock, so I was really interested in this idea.

Sadly, it would only work for a few of tail-stock accessories I have, but not most of them.

Anything which has a smaller diameter than the quill won't work, because it will have nothing to catch against. My Morse Taper drill chucks are all large enough that it would push against them - but it's more likely to knock the chuck head off at the JT33 joint as it is to pull the MT2 mandrel out of the tailstock.

The knock-out bar always works.
I have an older Nova too and one of the advantages of their tailstock is that because the length doesn't change as it is advanced or retracted we can put a drawbar into chucks, morse taper collets etc that can't be done with an ejecting tailstock most lathes have. I don't mind using the knockout bar since it is needed for the headstock anyway.

Wmcullen

I use a pair of Lineman's Pliers. One hand turns the tailstock, my second hand holds the pliers in place, and my third hand catches the tool before it falls out!!!

Top Bottom