Tagasast "bowl" made, as promised...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from robutacion

robutacion

Hi everyone,

I just realised that was in June last year (2011) that I cut this lonely tree from the paddock, where it lived, the full story with pics, here but interestingly, it wasn't started as the "gift" promised to the land owners from where the tree was cut but, an urge to grab this particular log I used last week to cut a wood sample for a wood collector in Germany, was...!

I left the 2 1/2' log near the bandsaw for later storing or put back from where I got in from in my dry wood storage shed and all of a certain, late in the afternoon on Friday (29-6) I had to do something with it and that was not put it back but, cut its top (3 branch head) that I always kept in the back of my mind, for one rainy day, project...!

It happen that was a rainy day, as it has been for a couple of weeks so, and instead of finishing for the day as it was nearly dark, I decided to cut it, mount it in the lathe and give it a general shape before dinner but that didn't turn out exactly as I wanted as, I kept going until the wife would get upset of waiting to dish up dinner and come downstairs, with the broom-stick...!:eek::biggrin:

A 10 minute job become an almost 1 hour, as I only left it after I had if close to shape and have all the many soft spots soaked with very thin CA, for a overnight drying time...! I was lucky that it was raining like buggery for that hour and that the dinner wasn't something that had to be eaten immediately after cooked so, she didn't wanted to come out to the cold and wet but, I got a mouth full but was all...!:wink::)

Was only yesterday when the wife went and had a look at that bowl I said was the reason for me being late for dinner, that she said, " Is this the bowl you promise to the tree owner...???" was then when I realise that, that though was not in my head the day before but, another very different one, where the wife would get another ornament for the house, while I had my urge settled so, I wasn't going to disappoint her and tell that, the bowl was in fact for her, I simply kept my mouth shut and, agreed to her statement/question, with a head signal...!:wink: well, wouldn't you...??? I like my "brownie" points...!:eek::wink:

I decided to finish it with natural wood oil but I had to do something about the wood soaking far too much in many areas so, I gave if a good soaking coat of wood sanding sealer about lunch time and then just before finished for the day, I rub it good with 0000 steal wool and then a generous soaking with the "Arganoil" oil.

This morning gave it another coat of oil, another one a few hours ago and about an hour or so ago I buffed it up and took some pics, as I would be delivering it this evening, something that they, the tree owners have not a clue about...!

So, everything endup working well in the end and, I'm sure the land owner's wife, will be very pleased with it, as she had a "thing" for that lonely tree, by itself in a whole paddock...!

Hope you like it...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_2538z.jpg
    100_2538z.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 100_2539z.jpg
    100_2539z.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 100_2540z.jpg
    100_2540z.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 100_2541z.jpg
    100_2541z.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 100_2542z.jpg
    100_2542z.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 207
  • 100_2543z.jpg
    100_2543z.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 100_2544z.jpg
    100_2544z.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 253
  • 100_2545z.jpg
    100_2545z.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Thanks guys, most appreciated...!

You know, shapes sometimes are a funny thing, there are so many determinant factors that can be influential to the final shape of the piece and other times, shapes are induced by the cutting tool you are using.

This was exactly the case with these last 2 pieces I turned, this one and the Almond one and if you look carefully, you will see some similarities and or shapes that were the result of a tool that I only finished a few months ago as I tried to bet what I needed before but I couldn't.

What am I talking about...??? I'm talking about the 18mm round carbide inserts/cutters that I had in 11mm for some time but the 18mm ones took a little longer to get my hands on.

What a great tool it has become, a 15mm square steal shaft of about 1' in length (reach) + a decent handle on it, and hollowing has become a much easier step, not forgetting of how easy is to let the tool create curves, either convex or concave that would not be so easy with other tools.

Not that I couldn't do it without this large diameter round insert but, having it, and knowing how easily it will work the wood, the cuts just flow and the final shapes are the result...!

Very simple, really...!:wink:

PS: The tree owner and wife got a unexpected surprise last night, not that they had forgotten, particularly the wife but, they though that would take a lot longer so, they were pleased...!

Cheers
George

phillywood

What am I talking about...??? I'm talking about the 18mm round carbide inserts/cutters that I had in 11mm for some time but the 18mm ones took a little longer to get my hands on.
George
I still can't figure out what you are talking about here. 18mm or 11mm ??:bulgy-eyes:
but other than that your piece looks nice.

robutacion

George
I still can't figure out what you are talking about here. 18mm or 11mm ??:bulgy-eyes:

My sentence says that, while I already had the 11mm round inserts, the 18mm ones where the inserts that I got more recently and that are responsible for the general shape of my last 2 turned pieces, capish...???:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

phillywood

George

My sentence says that, while I already had the 11mm round inserts, the 18mm ones where the inserts that I got more recently and that are responsible for the general shape of my last 2 turned pieces, capish...???:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George
George, Now I get it, however, I guess you think faster you can type and forget to re-read your post and by the time you write you are thought are still ahead of you and we have hard time being in your head trying to figure out what you are trying to say. No disrespect though, just tring to understand wat you were conveying to us. Or am I the only one?
Oh, last time I checked I had no Italian language training to understand Capish...

Last edited:
Top Bottom