Table Saw Dies, Xmas coming

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well, my 30 year old used Craftsman has been laid to rest.

Need advise: I will wait for holiday sales, so no hurry.

The old one was in the garage, turning shop is in the basement, so I would rather get a smaller, precision, bench top model to go downstairs and hook into my filters.

I have a good Incra Miter gauge already.

I am close to Woodcraft, Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight. Looking at their sites, Rockwell, Jet, Porter Cable, Dewalt, Bosch are similar sounding (Jet is pricy).

I don't expect to build a barn... 80% turning project stuff.

Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom T

Mark, the other day I was reading in a wood working magazine and I saw a small compact bench top type table saw of a kind. I am sorry I can not remember to much more. I'm thinking for wood under 30 inches long. It was really slick. Might have seen it at WC. I thought when I saw it if was only turning pens this thing would be great. Sorry about a poor description, but I can not remember. It is a relatively new tool. If I see it again I will let you know. Tom

robutacion

Well, my 30 year old used Craftsman has been laid to rest.

Need advise: I will wait for holiday sales, so no hurry.

The old one was in the garage, turning shop is in the basement, so I would rather get a smaller, precision, bench top model to go downstairs and hook into my filters.

I have a good Incra Miter gauge already.

I am close to Woodcraft, Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight. Looking at their sites, Rockwell, Jet, Porter Cable, Dewalt, Bosch are similar sounding (Jet is pricy).

I don't expect to build a barn... 80% turning project stuff.

Thank you!

Hummm...! sure, don't you just love when, tools break down close to Christmas...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

Seriously though, I doubt that you can buy a machine/tool today that, will last you 30 years, unfortunately, everything has its life expectancy, even when looked after...!

Let us know what you endup with, please...!

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

dogcatcher

Mark, the other day I was reading in a wood working magazine and I saw a small compact bench top type table saw of a kind. I am sorry I can not remember to much more. I'm thinking for wood under 30 inches long. It was really slick. Might have seen it at WC. I thought when I saw it if was only turning pens this thing would be great. Sorry about a poor description, but I can not remember. It is a relatively new tool. If I see it again I will let you know. Tom

This one has my curiosity up, I am also looking for a small bench top table saw.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
... Would a Bosch 4100 ever go on a good sale? (maybe used) Don't need the stand. Or the GTS 1031... Wonder if they're the same guts in a different body...

bryceprusse

I have the Powermatic, larger but great!
For space and turning projects, I use my band saw more than my table saw.
I use my table saw for cabinets and furniture.
Either way get a good one.
Black Friday sales will be in two weeks. check out the sales

RKB

Recently used a Dewalt bench saw in my son in law's garage and found it to pretty good. accurate, enough power, decent controls. It's the noise on the bench saw that get to me. Anymore I look like an astronaut when I'm working in the shop. :)

GaryMGg

A couple of thoughts:
A 30-year old Craftsman belt-drive contractor TS was most likely made by Emerson Electric (now Ridgid?) and the parts are still available!
What part died? You can probably repair it.

Stay away from Ryobi and Direct drive saws.
I'm with the suggestion to keep an eye on Craiglist:
I got a well-endowed Delta Unisaw for a great price--it's a great tool!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I agree with Gary on staying away from Ryobi. Its hard to buy a Bench top saw that isnt direct drive. Makita, Bosch. Ridgid, Dewalt. Use thin kerf blades to keep from burning up your motor. I put a thin kerf 7 1/4 blade on my makita and it will cut up to 3/4 inches. I have a Delta Unisaw for the larger stuff.

Boss302

If you want to stay with a lighter weight but fully capable table saw, take a look at a used Powermatic Artisan 10" TS (Model 63). I see some really nice ones come up on Craig's list in the $500 range. It looks a lot like the old Sears table saws when they made really nice ones.

Top Bottom