Synthetics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

I've been playing with wood blanks enough now to be able to distinguish among some similar-looking woods based on how they feel; for example, their density, hardness, etc. But I can't do that with most synthetic blanks, with the possible exception of Tru-Stone. That got me to wondering if anyone else can. That is, can you tell the difference, by feel or appearance, between a blank made of Lucite, one made of acrylic acetate, one made of polyester resin, one made of celluloid, or one made of epoxy resin? If so, what distinguishes them to you?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

I personally find the turning characteristics of acrylic acetate and celluloid to be pretty much identical. Lucite I find to be a little harder and more traslucent then the 2 preiviously mentioned materials. I do not have any real experience with polyester or epoxy so I have no idea.

JimGo

Thanks Mike. How 'bout before or after turning (i.e. while still in "blank" form, or after it's made into a pen)?

vick

I cannot other than knowing what style blank it is and knowing the manufaturer. I traditionally only use a few styles and can remember that for example the tobacco swirl is a CSU blank nad the cranberry is a Berea. The lucite is easy it is the longer rods.
I have not used them yet since I have not made many pens lately but
http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=PB-AA
has the best prices I have found on Berea resin. To bad I bought a bunch from Mr Bill and 4 rods of lucite a couple months ago.

PenWorks

Warm or cold ? Jim I tend to concieve synthetics to how they feel in the hand.
I think if you pick up lucite, ebonite, some italian resins and tru stone they feel warm in the hand. I think these types of material cut easier and have a warmer feel to them. PR, some accetates and other synthecis feel cold to the touch, I relate this to harder more brittle. This touch test is not 100% but puts you in the ball park. One of the reasons I like lucite & ebonite is the warm feel of the material in your hand.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Anthony,

If the ambient temp is 112 degrees fahrenheit, EVERYTHING feels cooler than that!!!!!

I have never noticed this characteristic, but then its never over 50 degrees in Wis.

I can tell the difference between materials as they turn by hardness and smell as they are turned. After a few hundred, it's easy!! Problem is, I don't believe the names in the catalogs are ALWAYS accurate. When it is called celluloid, does this mean it really HAS to be??? I don't think so.

For example, is CSUSA tru-stone malachite really different from Hut Acryligem Malachite?? (I have not turned either of these in a long time, but they sure LOOK the same)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom