Sweet Gum Balls Anyone?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from renowb

renowb

Here is a Phoenix pen made with a cast of sweet gum balls and a mixture of blue resin. I was surprised when I started turning it as it was almost, I say almost, as hard as truestone when I got into the core. But, it came out fairly well I think. Thanks for looking and any comments welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0444.JPG
    IMG_0444.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 643
  • IMG_0445.JPG
    IMG_0445.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 585
  • IMG_0448.JPG
    IMG_0448.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 563
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigShed

I had a sweet gum (liquidambar) in my front garden of my previous house, and hated those spiky balls. Lost count of the number of times I almost broke my neck over them.

It is good to see you have made such imaginative use of those pesky balls.

Great job and great looking pen.:good:

renowb

Thanks for the comments. I actually don't have the tree in my yard. I actually "would not" have that tree in my yard. I went walking and on the sidewalk down the street was a bunch of these things, so I picked up a few. They hurt like H*&LL in that state.

grz5

Any chance of you throwing up a tutorial on how you made the blanks? Would love to know so I can try to make my own.

renowb

Basically, real simple. I used a resin mold MC-4. Woodnwhimsies has them. This will hold 4 of the balls, tightly fitting. Some will stick out of the top, but I just kind of mashed them down. Then I mixed the resin and blue coloring, poured into the mold and let sit on my "running" drill press, since I don't have any chamber or vacuum, pressure chamber. With this, I get 2 blanks for a Phoenix or Sierras. After cured, I just cut it in 2 pieces, lengthwise. Drilled the hole and wallah! Turned that buggar down.
It took a lot of gap filling with CA and some of the turned blue material filled in nicely.

Justturnin

Freakin' AWESOME. I have collected a lot of those and have them in my shop drying. Once I get my pressure chamber set up they will be one of my first casts of this sourt.

renowb

Greg, come by any time. Bring some sweet gum balls!:):biggrin:

Nice job Bill.

You are going to have to let me come over so I can learn how to do that! I only have 2 zillion sweet gum balls in my yard.

Trillium

Dude, a seriously stunning use of those pesky seed pods that feel so rotten on bare feet! I need 42 of them for my block mold..I got seven already! Thanks for sharing such a cool idea!

Top Bottom