SWAT Pentel Conversion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

its_virgil

Finished one of the pentel conversions I started in one of my demos at SWAT this past weekend. Enjoy. Comments welcome.
Black and White ebony
Do a good turn daily!
Don

20210904_181818-01.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

I really like that blank and it seems perfectly suited to this particular project. Have thought about trying those myself some time, but just haven't taken the time to play around with it.

Bats

I think I've asked this elsewhere, but you've sorta written the book on these pencils, Don (or at least several chapters of it)... I notice you leave a bump at the nib on yours - is there any way to make a smooth transition, or is that completely precluded by the Pentel hardware? I've only tried making them using the tube method, and I know that doesn't allow for it (although an infinitely thin layer of wood on the tube would come pretty close), but is the tubeless method any better?

its_virgil

I think I've asked this elsewhere, but you've sorta written the book on these pencils, Don (or at least several chapters of it)... I notice you leave a bump at the nib on yours - is there any way to make a smooth transition, or is that completely precluded by the Pentel hardware? I've only tried making them using the tube method, and I know that doesn't allow for it (although an infinitely thin layer of wood on the tube would come pretty close), but is the tubeless method any better?
The brass tube OD is .266 and the "nib" of the pencil is .262 so the nib is just a bit smaller than the tube. So, using the tube method the best that can be done is to round over or chamfer the very end of the pencil blank and hopefully ease the transition. Personally, I like the pencil barrel a little larger than the stock plastic barrel so I do the best I can to make the nib end work for me, look good and feel good.

If not using the tube method but drilling with the small bit then chase it with the larger bit will allow the pencil barrel's tip transition to the "nib" to be closer and less noticeable. The small hole for the pencil mechanis to pass through is 5/32 or .154 so yes, the pencil barrel's tip can be made close to the same diameter as the nib. Still, when not using a tube I still like the barrel to have a larger diameter but the very end can be rolled or chamfered close to the nib OD.

The tube method is so much easier than the non-tube method. For those who have a hard time drilling a 78mm hole for the almost 4.5 inches then the blank can be made with two shorter blanks and the join between the two can be "hidden" in two or three ways.

I hope this has answered your questions. If not, feel free to contact me via emal or PM.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom