Suspended bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VisExp

VisExp

The group of woodturners I am partners with are participating in an Art Exhibition to raise funds for the Judy Nicholson Foundation this week. The foundation supports kidney cancer research.

This is one of the pieces I'll be showing. It is made of ash and parts of it have been burnt. The bowl itself is 8 1/2" x 2 1/2". I got a propane torch for this project. Burning wood is all kinds of fun :biggrin: I'll have to be careful I don't turn into a pyromaniac!

The legs are bent lamination, my first time doing that.

I still have to apply a couple of coats of lacquer over the next couple of days.

Attachments

• ACT_839618.jpg
    ACT_839618.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 333
  • ACT_839921.jpg
    ACT_839921.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 345
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

What did it do wrong to get suspended? :biggrin:

Keith, that is some nice work. Did you undercut the lip of the bowl or is it that thick?

IPD_Mrs

Everyone is talking art, and yes it is an art piece but it also has a very functional side. Remember growing up and having to protect your bowl of cereal from your siblings? You could put some razor wire between the uprights on two of the three sides and eat from the open side!!! :rotfl:

Awesome job Keith.

VisExp

Thanks for all the great comments everyone. They are really appreciated :)

Did you undercut the lip of the bowl or is it that thick?

Hans, the bowl is pretty thick. I wanted to give the impression of a heavy bowl floating, not to sure if I achieved it or not. I also needed the thickness to insert the dowels in.

Keith, that is VERY cool! You could create a series of them just by changing the shape or position of the legs!

Dean, that is so funny you said that. The original design was for the legs to curve outward, not inward. When I drilled the holes in the legs and the bowl they were offset ever so slightly. The offset in the bowl and the legs compounded the error and the legs were not standing plumb.

Fortunately my wife was helping me with the dry run assembly and calmed me down (stopped me from throwing the bowl away :biggrin:). I realized if I rotated and inverted the legs the two offsets would cancel each other out, and in the process made some lemonade out of lemons :)

You're right, it does open itself to a lot of design opportunities. I'm thinking of a series of similar bowls.

Really nice. You could do this w/ alot of different woods.

Mark, this was the first time I have burnt wood. It was ash and was really nice how the summer and winter growth rings burnt at different rates, creating a new texture as well as color. Do you know what other wood species are good candidates for burning?

MarkHix

Keith, I have not tried burning for art--yet. I know different woods will give you different textures. My thought process was actually about doing it without burning, just laminating different color woods. Now you have me curious and thinking about it (scares my wife when I get curious). I may have to try some different species and see what happens.

Thanks again for posting the bowl.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Dean, that is so funny you said that. The original design was for the legs to curve outward, not inward. When I drilled the holes in the legs and the bowl they were offset ever so slightly. The offset in the bowl and the legs compounded the error and the legs were not standing plumb.

Fortunately my wife was helping me with the dry run assembly and calmed me down (stopped me from throwing the bowl away :biggrin:). I realized if I rotated and inverted the legs the two offsets would cancel each other out, and in the process made some lemonade out of lemons :)

You're right, it does open itself to a lot of design opportunities. I'm thinking of a series of similar bowls.

It looks great the way it is, but my very 1st thought after looking at the pictures was "I wonder if it would look better with the legs curved out?" ... Good luck with the series! Make sure you mark this one as #1 in a series to increase its value :)

Top Bottom