Suspended Bowl With Lid

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Finally got a little more time in the shop and turned my first one of these. I have been intending to try it but was a little chicken with turning all that free air on a eight inch diameter piece .
Thanks to Bob Hamilton for the great tutorial that he supplied in the Tutorial board in my WWF site .
All went well. There is lots of room for improvement but being as it is my first one I am reasonably pleased with it..

Suspendedbowl1.jpg

Suspendedbowl2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Well done - piece of art !

And I still have all my fingers :biggrin:

I have made many small turned boxes over the years that have an air lock suction when removing the lid but nothing as big as this 8" lidded piece with similar suction . When picking the lid off just normally you can feel the suction but if purposely lifting it real fast it will raise the entire bowl off the table for a split second.

W.Y.

Looks good. My only critique from a design standpoint is that the legs look a little chunky to me.
Critiques welcome. Like I said it was my first one and I learned a lot doing it. I am just a rookie turner so it does take practice . This type of turning is so much more advanced than the simplicty of turning pens so the first one seldom comes out to our satisfaction.
Have you turned some with thinner legs ? If so I would like to see pictures so I can get better ideas for my next one (s)
It gets a little scary as the legs are getting thinner with the wood turning at full lathe speed in order to prevent chip out on the legs and sounding like an airplane propeller with all the air it is turning.

cnirenberg

Graet looking box. I like the shape. I have only done those capsule type and a few Chris Stott looking boxes. Your came out great. What wood did you use?

W.Y.

Graet looking box. I like the shape. I have only done those capsule type and a few Chris Stott looking boxes. Your came out great. What wood did you use?

The bowl and knob are white birch and the lid is walnut . A closer grained wood like hard maple is best for that sort of thing but none of that grows out west here so birch is the next best thing .

W.Y.

I feel a little lazy so I will copy one of the messages from my own site that is also into a two page on going discussion.
This ressponse was from Bob Hamilton who supplied the tutorial for it in my Turning Tutorials board.

Looks like a great job, William! You might try adding a pic with the bowl rotated so that one of the legs is at the front. It changes the look completely when the diagonal becomes the width.
Take care
Bob

Great idea Bob .
Thanks for the tip.
It shows it in a whole new perspective .
And something that also shows up is an area that needs a little sanding attention . .lol . . . Pictures always seem to show things up that are not really showing when holding the piece in your hand.
Good thing it only has a coat of Danish oil on it so far and a little buffing. Will be easy to inspect for areas like that and sand them out before applying final finish.

Suspendedbowl3.jpg

moyehow

THere is no comparison. Yours is much better (1000 times better). I was disappointed in mine so I did not take my time in finishing it. I made my cuts with the bandsaw a little too close to the bowl. Mine really did look more like a dog dish than your bowl. I would never call yours a dog dish.
If you want to make a dog bowl, just Ask me. I can miss up about anything.

W.Y.

William,
Superb turning, the diagonal photo does it more justice. I really like the contrast. Can you provide a link to the forum with the tutorial?

Thanks for the nice comments.
Here is where the tutorial is. Bob keeps me updated with all his latest videos and tutorials and I put then in those boards .

http://wmyoung.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=turning&action=display&thread=5354

Sorry you need to register to view but I have it set that way to keep out the "undersireables" .
Registration is painless :wink: and either one of my mods or myself approve registrations very frequently. Usually with an hour or so.

Top Bottom