Supernove chuck came apart!!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodcutter199

OK heart rate went down so I can ask this question, I was turning a piece of crepe myrtle this morning . Turned the lathe at about 425 (lowest speed I have). Every thing tight or so I thoughtHear a noise and I stopped the lathe thinking it was a piece of the wood broken off. I took the wood out to check further and found one of the jaws flew off the chuck and landed close by me. Question is any place to get this repaired or jusr buy new?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

First off let me say that you are fortunate that you were not injured when the jaw came off.

Second I am thankful that you were turning at a low speed. Think what could have happened if you had been turning at high speed.

Third I would recommend contacting the manufacturer so that they can replace the chuck and get you to return the chuck so that they can determine what happened. This is not something that should ever happen and needs to be determined if there is a defect in the chuck so that other owners can be sure that they are safe when using that model.

Curly

Are the screws still in the chuck? Are they broken off in the holes? Has something else let go? New chuck or old? Can you take pictures and post them so we can see exactly what you are talking about?

monophoto

Are the screws still in the chuck? Are they broken off in the holes? Has something else let go? New chuck or old? Can you take pictures and post them so we can see exactly what you are talking about?

Great questions.

There's a big difference between a metal fracture that allows a chunk of jaw to fly off, and losing a jaw because the mounting screws were loose. Also, there is a much greater possibility of a jaw coming off if the chuck is opened to the maximum travel of the sliders, which then begs the question of whether the chuck was being used beyond its design capabilities.

jttheclockman

Yea we need more info and photos tell a story. none of us were there with you so we have no idea what happened.

I don't own a Nova, all my chucks are Barracuda's from PSI, but I have one that if I open it too wide, the jaws will come off the slides... takes a little time and a few not so nice words to get it back in place... It's my understanding that Nova's have a stop that doesn't allow that to happen.... if ;you have as Louie said opend the jaws too wide, and the stop is missing or compromised, you may only need to re-insert the jaw while closing them... may be a simple fix... picture would definitely help the collective here determine your problem.

Curly

Thanks for letting us know but exactly what was the issue. Knowing what it is lets readers know what to look for or not do themselves. Next time more serious injuries could happen without the knowledge.

duncsuss

Thanks for letting us know but exactly what was the issue. Knowing what it is lets readers know what to look for or not do themselves. Next time more serious injuries could happen without the knowledge.
Pete - I believe it would take the Teknatool guys more than a couple of pix attached to an email to determine exactly what the issue was. Failure analysis that is based on "oh, looks like the oojamaflip worked loose and caused the doohickey to split" is not analysis at all, it's guesswork.

Top Bottom