Sunday night at the movies---turning very dry wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sunday night movie--12-1-13--reinforcing wood blanks and turning a pen - YouTube

Tonight I turn a pen blank from Black Palm. VERY DRY black palm!!

There have been a couple threads about turning palm recently so I thought this would be a good topic. In addition, Dawn uncovered some blanks we bought LONG ago and decided to post them for sale on Exotics:
Exotic Blanks :: Wood Pen Blanks :: Exotic Woods & Burls :: Black Palm Pen Blanks 7/8"

As you can see, these are nice size blanks, which could make any pen design. But buy a couple, cause it takes one to "get in the groove"!!!

The first blank I turned reminded me of conversations I had with Eagle: You ALWAYS know when to reinforce a blank with CA!! The trouble is, you KNOW about 2 seconds AFTER it blows up!!

So, on the second blank, I was more careful--resulting in a very nice blank!!

Give them a try!!

Comments welcome,
Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Teeball

Good video Ed, I have had some hard times with Black Palm. I hope to use your tip with CA and maybe I wiil have some sucess. Thanks for your videos , they help us newbees.:biggrin:

SteveG

Nice video Ed. The palm is a challenge. As a comment on your suggestion to use CA inside the hole to reinforce the blank from the "inside, out". I do that as a matter of routine on every wood blank that I think MIGHT have a tendency to chip out or break up. It is easy to do, and probably has saved a good number of my blanks over the years.

Top Bottom