Summer Meeting - Michigan Chapter - July 25th

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Please use this thread to discuss the Summer meeting.

• NOTE: This meeting is on a Saturday. As discussed in another thread we decided to switch some of the meetings to Saturday for those that find it difficult to get to a meeting on Sunday. This is an experiment to see if Saturdays become part of the regular schedule.
  • NOTE: Even though this meeting is on a Saturday, we'll keep the same times (1:30 for a free tutorial for beginners, and 2:00 start for the regular meeting).

Location: I suspect several people will find it easier to attend if the meeting were on the east (north?) side. Volunteers? My place has heat, so let's think in terms of the fall or winter meetings out here. However, as always, my place is available as a plan-B.

Topics: Once again, the hardest part of finding people to demonstrate things, is not knowing what topics to cover. Please use this thread to share what you would like to see, and what topics you would like to demonstrate. Here's the current thinking:

Summer meeting:
  • Topic 1: I'd like to find someone who can intelligently discuss and demonstrate gouge sharpening (high speed vs slow speed grinding, honing, techniques, etc.). Since this is a topic for turning in general (and not just pens) please check with your contacts in the other turning clubs to seek out a volunteer (we can't pay them, but we can feed them some chili and give them a free pen).
  • Topic 2: There is continued interest to improve closed-end pen skills. I'd like to get 3 or 4 of you that do closed-end pens to bring your mandrel-like jigs and show us how they work and how to make them. Comparing the different approaches would be valuable. Also, don't forget to teach us about threading the cap onto the body. (Do you use parts from a kit? Tap your own threads?)
If you would like to see or demonstrate something else then this is the thread to discuss your ideas.

Anyone want to volunteer???

Fall meeting:
  • Topic 1: Leo is going to show us his techniques for carving birds and fish. No, this is not done on a lathe, but it's an interesting woodworking skill.
  • Topic 2: Christmas ornaments. I'd like to get 2 of you to volunteer to demonstrate (actually make) 1 ornament each. The first should be a hollowed ornament. The second should be an inside-out ornament.

Even though we've covered these topics in past meetings, I'm hearing requests to repeat:
  1. Segmented pens and bowls
  2. Celtic knots
  3. Casting
OK … start discussing …

Best Regards,

Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bswiss

I am a newbie to this craft, I want to learn more through this group. I just completed a class through Woodcraft, in canton, mi., 2 weeks ago. Slowly buying kits and blanks and other small items. I'm still saving up for the lathe and tools. I will stay in contact to find out the meeting location.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
welcome ...

Glad to hear from you. If you send me (either IAP Private Message, or email: j_b_fischer@comcasts.net) your email address, I'll send you meeting reminders.

In the mean time, feel free to contact me if you want some tutoring before the next meeting.

Talk/type to you soon.

Jim

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Well ... finally, two responses to the thread regarding the Summer Meeting after how many weeks. One is a decline, the other is asking if we're having the meeting.

If you can't tell from my tone, I'm a little discouraged by the lack of participation. No one has volunteered to demonstrate ... no one has volunteered a location.

If a meeting is to be had, start conversing now and pick a place. My wife and I will be out of town this weekend, otherwise I'd volunteer my place again (since no one else has volunteered).

When I get back I'll look forward to seeing comments from you on what you thought of the meeting. I'll also establish the thread for the fall meeting.

See you then.

Fall meeting:
  • Topic 1: Leo is going to show us his techniques for carving birds and fish. No, this is not done on a lathe, but it's an interesting woodworking skill.
  • Topic 2: Christmas ornaments. I'd like to get 2 of you to volunteer to demonstrate (actually make) 1 ornament each. The first should be a hollowed ornament. The second should be an inside-out ornament.

Even though we've covered these topics in past meetings, I'm hearing requests to repeat:
  1. Segmented pens and bowls
  2. Celtic knots
  3. Casting
OK … start discussing …

Best Regards,

Jim

I can't make Saturday. Fall meeting Clue me in when that will be.
I will demo a hollow ornament and finials too,No problem. If time allows even a urchin shell ornament. And the Celtic Knot thing... I will do that too.

Muggsy1776

Sorry I've taken so long as life has gotten in the way of any of my hobbies. I turned my first pen in well over a year and wanted to bring it to the meeting, but unfortunately it's the same day as my son's Boy Scout kayak weekend.

pinelumber

Fall meeting

HEEEEEEEYYY are we having a fall meeting???? We can't have it at my house It is all ripped up doing 2 bathrooms and my studio is way to small even for me. I will do a demo if needed. The meeting is supposed to be the end of this month!!.

Pinelumber
Dennis
:bananen_smilies104::RockOn:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom