Summer Extravaganza Slimline Entry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rholiday

rholiday

Just wanted to ley you know that pen # 12 is mine -- spalted tamarind with Argentine Lignum Vitae nose cone, center band and finial. The clip is maple.
C & C welcome.

Bob

Attachments

• DSC_0007-web.jpg
    DSC_0007-web.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC_0008-web.jpg
    DSC_0008-web.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 160
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

I love what you have done with your Slimline Bob.
Beautiful Spalted Tamarind, Blank.
Love your Lignum Vitae Centre Band, Nose, Finial and Maple Clip.
I am not certain what finish you used, but from the photographs, it looks like Maple Clip, could have been fine sanded and shaped a little more, and with the Lignum Vitae components, given a higher Finish. This may well be a result of the Photograph, and light reflection.
Great Concept and Execution.
Congratulations,
Brian.

SteveJ

Bob, I really like this pen. The colors are great. I also like what you did with the clip. For my clip I actually used a metal clip which I front of and glued it into a slot I cut in my clip. It didn't work well, I broke three before I got one to stick. I will try your method on my next one. Would you mind giving a little detail of how you did it so I don't have to go through as much trial and error? (I think my pen was number 13, another slimline much like yours)

rholiday

Brian,

The finish is shellac. I agree with you on the fit and finish of the clip.

SMJ1957,

While researching wooden clips I came across an article by Richard Kleinhenz- Wood Through & Through. He had some clips laser cut but also said they could be cut out with a scroll saw. Went with the scroll saw approach. Got a 1/8 " thick piece of maple from Woodcraft, sketched out 8 clips, and cut them out. Took the clips to a benchtop 1" wide belt sander, and the finally a Dremel drum sander. One clip was destroyed in cutting and one was destroyed in sanding. Dyed and finished the clips.
I figured I could cut the slot with a burr in the Dremel, but hand-holding it did not seem like a good idea. Created a Dremel tool holder for the lathe. The post gives me vertical adjustment, the banjo gives me left / right and in / out adjustment, and the wing nut allows me to tilt the Dremel to get it horizontal to the pen on the lathe.

Bob

Attachments

• DSC_0009-web.jpg
    DSC_0009-web.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_0010-web.jpg
    DSC_0010-web.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 122

Marko50

Brian,

The finish is shellac. I agree with you on the fit and finish of the clip.

SMJ1957,

While researching wooden clips I came across an article by Richard Kleinhenz- Wood Through & Through. He had some clips laser cut but also said they could be cut out with a scroll saw. Went with the scroll saw approach. Got a 1/8 " thick piece of maple from Woodcraft, sketched out 8 clips, and cut them out. Took the clips to a benchtop 1" wide belt sander, and the finally a Dremel drum sander. One clip was destroyed in cutting and one was destroyed in sanding. Dyed and finished the clips.
I figured I could cut the slot with a burr in the Dremel, but hand-holding it did not seem like a good idea. Created a Dremel tool holder for the lathe. The post gives me vertical adjustment, the banjo gives me left / right and in / out adjustment, and the wing nut allows me to tilt the Dremel to get it horizontal to the pen on the lathe.

Bob

It never ceases to amaze me the brilliant jigs and tooling that this community comes up with. Ingenious!:cool:

Top Bottom