Summer 2014 Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Location: Victor's house - 2430 Girard, Warren, MI 48092 ... 586-563-0441 (This is a corrected location!)

Date: Sunday, July 27th

Time: 1:30 for the regular meeting (with a 1:00 Tutorial for beginners)

At the spring meeting I asked those who were there about ideas for boosting attendance ... things we (or I) should do differently to make sure we were maintaining the interest level. We purposefully concluded nothing because I wanted the discussion to take place here on the forum. This is the thread for that discussion. Please feel free to comment on any aspect of our meetings that you think could improve.

While I'm putting everything on the table for discussion, there are some things that will require high levels of convincing before we change them. For example, we've learned through experience that having a set schedule is very important. So, while we might discuss the schedule, we will continue to set a schedule a year at a time.

I'll start ...

Demonstrations are important and difficult. Important because they are (IMHO) the key item that will draw people to the meetings. Difficult because very few people express their opinions on what they want to see and learn about. Once I have a topic in mind, it isn't too hard to find someone to demonstrate. You've herd me plea for suggestions in the past; we need to figure out a way to identify and schedule demonstrations.

BTW, to actually demonstrate doesn't always mean we have to turn on a piece of equipment. Watch someone turn something square into something round can be a little boring. So its OK to prepare a number of partially completed project pieces and 'talk-through' the project steps.

I'll develop a list of topics, including topics we've covered in the past, and post them later in this thread.

Leadership of the group does not involve a lot of effort. But perhaps that is part of the problem (that I think there isn't much to it). Maybe others would like to have a more active role. For example, does anyone want to take charge of the raffle & trinkets? How about someone owning the demonstration topics and getting them scheduled? (Gee, sound like a leadership team.)

OK ... There's a start, lets discuss !

BTW, before we get started I want to make sure that you understand that I am not at all whining about my role in the local chapter. I'm only concerned that interest may be waning for some of you and we aren't reaching others that would benefit from our face-to-face pen (and wood working) information exchanges. The primary measurement of our success is attendance, so I'm trying to get attendance up to where I think it should be. I thank each of you for your support of the group; I hope to see all of you a the July meeting.

OK ... lets discuss...

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Email Addresses ...

I just sent an email to everyone with a pointer to this thread. If you didn't get that email then I don't have your email address. If you would like to receive email-reminders of our meetings please let me know (PM or email ... or call 734-325-3746).

Jim

scotirish

First a comment: You stated tha the next meeting is at your house (Studio), the schedule call for it to be at Victors. Which is correct? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Now suggestions for demo's:
1) A small (emphasis on size) hollow form,
2) Off center turning,
3) Turning a Finial,
4) Using some of the tools for "special" decoration on pens and other turnings.
Just some ideas to kick around. :tongue::tongue:
I think it would be a good idea to divide up some of the work (not that you don"t do a great job, you do!) :laugh::laugh: but it would cause some to feel a greater part of the group.
As to increasing participation, talking up the group to outsiders is one way. Every time I go to Woodcraft and see someone in the pen isle I talk to them and ask if they belong to IAP? Then I talk up the Michigan Chapter to them. Perhaps Matt (Woodcraft) would allow us to put up a flyer about a month prior to the next meeting.
Well that is my two cents worth. :bananen_smilies027::bananen_smilies035:

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Meeting Location ... My House - Victor's - Whereever

The schedule in the http://www.penturners.org/forum/f90/our-next-meeting-96997/ topic shows my house as the next meeting. The summer meeting was at Victors at one time; I don't remember when the change was made. The date, however, has not changed.

Victor ... any thoughts ... do you remember why/when the location changed? Actually, its a moot point. Can you deal with a potential 'cool weather' (October) meeting?

For that matter, if anyone else wants to host, please say something now so we can effectively plan.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Your suggestions: Good ideas. I'll let others comment more and see what list we can build. I've also had a request to "don't forget the beginner", which translates to repeating some of our previous topics, such as using CA as a finish, segmented (Celtic knot) pens, etc. On a personal note, I haven't had time to learn closed end pen making and would like to have another tutorial.

As for dividing up the work .. I'm game. Those of you who are interested please PM me. I'll then organize a group discussion. I think having a leadership team in place will help me stay accountable (i.e. not letting me wait to the last minute). I see the work falling into the following buckets:
  1. Meeting Logistics
  2. Demo Management
  3. Raffle & Trinkets
  4. Marketing
You might think of others ... please do.

The Woodcraft store on my side of town is very supportive. I've placed fliers in the past, but usually only when the meeting is on the west side (my house). I'd also like some help in organizing a 'corporate outreach' program. I'm thinking someone contact any number of companies that have a reasonable number of employees, find out from their offices if anyone inside the company is a (pen) turner. Then ask permission to reach out to that person. After that, the individual spreads the word within the company (that way HR and Security won't have to worry about outsiders posting fliers, etc.).

That's it for now ... keep the comments coming.

Thanks ... Jim

First a comment: You stated tha the next meeting is at your house (Studio), the schedule call for it to be at Victors. Which is correct? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Now suggestions for demo's:
1) A small (emphasis on size) hollow form,
2) Off center turning,
3) Turning a Finial,
4) Using some of the tools for "special" decoration on pens and other turnings.
Just some ideas to kick around. :tongue::tongue:
I think it would be a good idea to divide up some of the work (not that you don"t do a great job, you do!) :laugh::laugh: but it would cause some to feel a greater part of the group.
As to increasing participation, talking up the group to outsiders is one way. Every time I go to Woodcraft and see someone in the pen isle I talk to them and ask if they belong to IAP? Then I talk up the Michigan Chapter to them. Perhaps Matt (Woodcraft) would allow us to put up a flyer about a month prior to the next meeting.
Well that is my two cents worth. :bananen_smilies027::bananen_smilies035:

Last edited:

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Both my place and Victor's would be accessible to the shop, but neither shop has running water ... both have some steps to overcome for accessing bathrooms. For that matter, it was the same at Dan's ... easy access to the shop; steps to get to plumbing.

Hi Jim,

My calendar is free. No Ball Game (I work for the Tigers) and no Band Concerts so all that is great. The question is: Is the meeting site wheelchair accessible?

Regards,

Ernie

bcul01

Thanks for asking for suggestions. I am wanting to move toward kit-less pen making. So discussing how to plan out thread sizes and how to cut them would be great.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Meeting Update

Date: July 27th (as determined long ago)

Location: Victor's Place at 2430 Girard, Warren, MI 48092 ... 586-563-0441
(My apologies for the confusion I caused regarding the location, but its all straightened out and confirmed.)

BTW - When I talked to Victor he said he is preparing a move to a new house (don't know where yet). But that means he would rather sell his product than move it. If you need any wood, help Victor out.

Agenda --- in general, the usual!

Demo 1 - I'll be demonstrating how to sharpen flat things (chisels, hand plane blades, etc). Won't be of much use for gouges, but chisels can be fun! And if you already now how to sharpen, you probably won't learn much from me ... but I'm thinking at least one of you (and therefore several of you) will find the topic helpful.

Demo 2 - Dunno

Here's a consolidated list of topic suggested in the past several posts:
  • Small Hollow Forms
  • Off Center Turning
  • Finials
  • Special "decorative" tools
  • CA Finishing
  • Other Finishes
  • Celtic Knots (segmented pens)
  • Closed End Pens
  • Kit-less Pens
  • Sharpening (gouges)
  • PITH

I just sent an email pointing to this posing ... if you're reading this but didn't get an email (and would like to receive meeting reminders), please let me know and I'll add you to the distribution list.

Hope to see everyone there ... Jim

Last edited:

pesbes

Next Meeting

I have tickets for Maker Fair on Sunday, so I will be unable to attend. I think DAW is planning to make this a group outing, so there may be some conflicts. It would not be a bad meeting to all go to the Maker Fair. Built in demos!

Phil

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
I think you said this is wheelchair accessible. If it is not, please let me know. If it is I will be there.

Access to Victor's yard (where most of the 'talk' will take place) is easy. Since parking is limited, you might want to arrive a little early or call ahead to avoid parking down the street (its a dirt road).

Access to his shop is easy, although it will be a little cramped (it always is because Victor is a professional finished carpenter and has a lot of 'stuff' in his shop).

Access to a restroom will be up a short flight of stairs (on the back porch) ... if your chair is lift-able, then we'll have enough people their to help, otherwise, I'm not sure what to say.

Last edited:

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
I am looking forward to being there, Bob

He-Betty --- glad you're planning on attending, looking forward to seeing you again.

She-Betty --- hope you're planning on coming with He-Betty (you wouldn't believe what a wild party man he is when you're not looking!).

She-Betty --- if you can't make it ... then send cookies.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Supplies

Time to see who is bringing what ...

containers? (Cups, bowls to put snacks in, etc.)
diet soft drinks?
Industrial strength soft drinks?
Salty snacks?
Sweet snacks?

And don't forget to to bring some cash for the raffle ($5) and to help Victor reduce his inventory (so he doesn't have to move it).

See you all soon.

Jim

We can grill as long as the weather permits.Just do some easy hot dogs for late lunch?I always eat every meal late(maybe that's why I'm a little thick,ha).I'll supply the dogs and buns and cook.Look for ward to seeing everyone its been a while since I've been to a meeting.See you soon,Victor

CrimsonKeel

I'm going to be there. Looking forward to fun and food.
Ill bring a couple bags of chips along with money to clean out victors stock.

I would like to see a demo on making a Kit less fountain pen or a demo on how to tune up a fountain pen.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
I'll be there !

Several people have checked-in regarding attendance at the meeting (thank you for doing so).

If you haven't checked-in yet, please do so ... we need a headcount to know how many hot dogs, cookies, and soft drinks to prepare.

It is probably a little late to request a demo ... but that doesn't mean you can't ask questions. You'll get N pieces of advice (where N = the number of attendees).

Bring a friend, bring a newbie ... be there or be square.

See you in a few days.

Jim

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
I got a call this afternoon to Sound TAPS for a Veteran's Funeral Military Honors at Cadillac Gardens Cemetery in Clinton Township. The funeral time is 2:00 PM. Another Bugler has taken ill so I need to stand in for him. I will call after the funeral and if things are still going try to still stop for meet people, etc.

Sorry

Ernie

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
I got a call this afternoon to Sound TAPS for a Veteran's Funeral Military Honors at Cadillac Gardens Cemetery in Clinton Township. The funeral time is 2:00 PM. Another Bugler has taken ill so I need to stand in for him. I will call after the funeral and if things are still going try to still stop for meet people, etc.

Sorry

Ernie

Our respects for the departed but bummer for us ...

The meetings typically go until 5:00 or so; please stop by if you can. Otherwise, we'll catch you next time.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Rain or Shine ...

It is going to rain today ... but it is summer, so it will be warm.

Don't let the rain stop you ... we'll squeeze into Victor's shop if we need to.

See you all in about 4 hours.

Jim

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Good Meeting ...

There was a family (Mom, Dad, and Austin) that saw the poster at Rockler. They couldn't stay long, but got a tutorial, was able to ask several questions and got some good advice before they left. Thank you Rockler for displaying our meeting announcement sign.

There were a dozen others in attendance. Several people brought some show-and-tell items; both pen and non-pen items. I demonstrated a Veritas Sharpening Guide that I think was well received. The demo also prompted some conversation and additional information flow(from those more experienced than I ... thank you for participating).

I took the addresses of several people who shop at the Rockler store on Woodward (the only Rockler in Michigan). If you shop there then send my your street address (PM or email) and I'll include you in the distribution of "ID Cards". The idea is that when you purchase something at Rockler, tell them you are with the Michigan Chapter of IAP (they may or may not ask for an ID), and you;'l get a 10% discount (to be combined with no other sale or discount). They also log in a notebook the fact that someone from our group purchased something. When that happen 10 (maybe 12) times, they'll send me a gift card for 20% off the next purchaser ... I'll use that to re-supply our raffle table.

So ... like I said (typed) ... if you shop there, let me know and I'll send you an ID-card.

Our next meeting will be in October. I'll start a new thread for that meeting in a few minutes. You should think about demo's (either requests for topics, or volunteering to put on a demo). I'm striving to have two topics per meeting. The tentative discussion was to show how to make a small hollow vessel (think, Christmas ornament) and a finial. Just in time for making Christmas gifts. But this isn't a done deal ... see the new thread for a complete discussion.

Thanks to everyone for attending ... especially Ohio-Bob & Betty ... And a special thanks to Victor for hosting (and the free wood!).

Talk/type to you all soon ... in the next thread.

Jim

Top Bottom