Summer 2013 Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks everyone !

Excellent meeting everyone ... thank you for your participation. If you didn't make it, you missed a good one.

Here's a summary ...
There were 23 people in attendance with 5 first timers (and 1 newbie to pen turning). Not the most we have ever had (26), but is certainly the largest crowd in a couple of years. Special thanks for our visitors from BAW & DAW - Welcome and please come back.

Another special thanks to Jeff Brown (IAP Founder) for coming in from Cleveland. I hope you enjoyed our company as much as we enjoyed yours.

And welcome to Charles ... 14 years old, winner of a free lathe (from another organization ... not us), and promised to come back in October to show us what he has accomplished.

Victor made half a dozen Worthless Wood pen blanks as part of his casting demo. Very informative, especially about the product that is about half the price I've seen for other casting products.

Glenn did two demos. The first was hollowing a small object ... think Christmas ornament. If you are interested in having Glenn demonstrate making the finials for the ornament, say something. (No promises, of course, Glenn works weekends in retail and October is probably a peak season ... so getting a vacation day may be difficult, but we can always ask!)

His second demo was making a calligraphy pen. It was also very informative, although he didn't quite finish the entire pen. I had to ask him to rush the demo ... my apologies for not watching the time more closely.

Thank you Glenn for spending a vacation day with us.

Because we had 3 demos, we also had to cut short the show-n-tell time. Thank you everyone for your flexibility and understanding.

We started at 1:30, wrapped up at about 5:00, then a few of us continued to talk about improving the meeting until about 6:00. I'll put those notes in a separate thread.

Thanks again to everyone ... see you in October.

Jim

Jim,
Thank you for the kind comments and had fun at today's meeting. It was very nice to see a group this size for a local chapter, kudos to you for your leadership, it has a direct impact on the chapter success.
I also appreciate the kindness I was given during my demos and hope a few took something learned home with them, I am a better turner than demonstrator. There were better, more accomplished turners in attendance and I too, learned from them and their suggestions on how to improve my turning process, even though I was demoing.
We have a great local chapter and thanks to Victor for being a fine host.

Last edited:
Hey guys had a great time I love talking wood and such with all you wood nuts,lol.Thanks a bunch Glenn for the Demos now I need to make a couple ornaments.Also a big thanks to Jeff for coming out to see us,oh and lets not forget Jim for his organizing skills(I don't have those).Thanks to all that came out,Victor

pesbes

Meeting Followup

Victor, thank you for posting the information about the casting materials. As soon as I get my hands on a pressure pot, I will be purchasing materials to make so blanks. I really want to try bowl blanks also.

Also, thank you for hosting and giving the demo and thank you to Glen for his demos. I always take home some new information from every meeting I attend.

Thanks to Jim for putting together another great meeting.

Hope to see you all in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom